10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tedlogan

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by tedlogan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Soarer wrote:Hmmm... I find it a bit harsh or hard and still get way more character and fullness with my other synths.
It helps to add an EQ with a wide dip in the mid range but I think the sound quality should be improved.
Yeah, it can be harsh, but I EQ it, or tone down the modulation range, or...a smorgasboard of other options. The core tone you want is carveable, and that's what I like.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:40 am

Soarer wrote:Hmmm... I find it a bit harsh or hard and still get way more character and fullness with my other synths.
It helps to add an EQ with a wide dip in the mid range but I think the sound quality should be improved.
This is true of all Live synths I think, so should perhaps be expected.

I'd like to point out that many third party instruments have aspects present that Live instruments can gain by using audio effects, native or not. There's a reason many of the presets for Live synths come with effects, rather than these being built-in into the synth itself. A third party synth may have imperfections and enhancements made right into the plug-in.

With Live instruments you need to add these imperfections and enhancements yourself. Saturation, Reverb, Delay and so on added in an consciously imperceptible way adds up to the complete sound. Audio effects are also part of sound design and do not have to be obvious. Look at how Tom Cosm presents sound design in Ableton Live. He has the right approach.
Make some music!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:49 am

Stromkraft wrote:
This is true of all Live synths I think, so should perhaps be expected.

I'd like to point out that many third party instruments have aspects present that Live instruments can gain by using audio effects, native or not. There's a reason many of the presets for Live synths come with effects, rather than these being built-in into the synth itself. A third party synth may have imperfections and enhancements made right into the plug-in.

With Live instruments you need to add these imperfections and enhancements yourself. Saturation, Reverb, Delay and so on added in an consciously imperceptible way adds up to the complete sound. Audio effects are also part of sound design and do not have to be obvious. Look at how Tom Cosm presents sound design in Ableton Live. He has the right approach.
indeed! The whole of Live is infinite potential in at least a modular sense. For example, Wavetable + EQ + Pedal + Echo = :)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:15 am

Good points all.

The only thing that I find regrettable about Wavetable is how quickly you can get to a real processor hit if you don't have a particularly powerful computer.