10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nokatus

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by Nokatus » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm under the impression that the multi-clip piano roll editor only shows the contents of clips that are currently selected? Is that really the case? As in, if you do something that causes the selection to change or completely deselect, you need to reselect everything you wish to edit at the same time, every time.

It seems it really begs for a pinning feature. A simple way to "pin" a clip, once selected, so that it will stay visible in the editor until unpinned. This way you wouldn't need to keep everything selected all the time just to keep them visible when editing multiple MIDI parts in relation to one another.

Also posted this as a feature request: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=228065

redglass

Post by redglass » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Nokatus wrote:I'm under the impression that the multi-clip piano roll editor only shows the contents of clips that are currently selected? Is that really the case? As in, if you do something that causes the selection to change or completely deselect, you need to reselect everything you wish to edit at the same time, every time.

It seems it really begs for a pinning feature. A simple way to "pin" a clip, once selected, so that it will stay visible in the editor until unpinned. This way you wouldn't need to keep everything selected all the time just to keep them visible when editing multiple MIDI parts in relation to one another.

Also posted this as a feature request: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=228065
+1

rekloos

Post by rekloos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Just a few observations on my end, only to the new additions:

-The new look works well. A bit like apple when it went for a more flatter look, def has that Sierra facelift. I don't have anything special at home, still using my 20yr old Cinema Display. Tweaking the settings inside live's preferences should get you a good look.
I like the font and i found it easier to see and find things in the browser.

-I like the automation scenario and since i use Logic a lot it's an easy addition but....it should
be an option on top of what we had before not the only option. In L9 i could at any time click on a parameter and the automation lane shows up right away, that's one click, now nothing happens unless i have the 'Automation Mode' turned on and it gives you a view of the automation lanes on all tracks. Again, me thinks it should be an addition to the old way...
Also, another quirky addition is the snap feature, although it's nice to have it seems that automation is linked to it so if you have snap on where you would drag or extend clips and snap to the grid as it was in L9 now the automation snaps as well which is annoying. I don't really see the point of it, 99% of the time most people do automation freely outside the grid so now i have to turn off snap before tweaking automation which adds another step to the process so we went from :
L9 : 1-click on parameter and tweak
L10: 1-click to see automation lane _ 2-turn snap off _ 3-click on parameter to tweak

-Zooming is a bit easier but still.... can't pinch to zoom in/out using mouse/pad! You can use + - keys for horizontal zooming but that's it- no vertical zooming shortcuts! kinda half ass done....

-Capture is actually useful and did not see any major hits on the processor, i was thinkin since live somehow 'listens' all the time (?) it might add strain on the cpu.

-The new plugs are pretty cool, especially Echo, too bad they're only part of the Suite...

-Permanent Scrub Area is available now! works nice...
rekloos presents: BASS KULTURE : all things dubwise ! Every Sunday @12PM / Fridays @6PM(EST):
http://radio614.org/

dub album out now on juno&beatport:
http://bit.ly/S26jun
http://bit.ly/SS26bp

running with scissors.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:37 pm

bubbleandsquawk wrote:Due to the m4l limitations, I’ve never really explored it properly but apparently you can’t even use 3rd party plugs in slave mode (news to me!), nor can you use a hardware controller. It’s such a shame. For me live is so much more an instrument in itself than a DAW strictly speaking. It’s certainly how I use it but generally I find it better to track large collaborative projects in another DAW. I just wish they could get along so I can just plug my Live session into a larger project contained elsewhere.
This has been something I've wanted too, forever. Ableton obviously do not see it that way though, and even their ex-employee chief rivals Bitwig aren't interested in implementing features to make it work with other DAWs easily. Bitwig doesn't do rewire at all. I always thought that it was some sort of limitation of Rewire holding Ableton back, but apparently some DAWs figured out how to retain all their VSTi hosting while rewire slaves, so it's not that. It's apparently not a requested enough feature to warrant development hours to.

It might be insanely hard to do, especially with older code already in place. I think there's ego attached to it too, with the ubiquity of Pro Tools in professional studios in the USA at least, you would think full blown Rewire support where nothing of a song was lost when slaved would be a priority for any DAW, but only a handful offer it.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:22 pm

frabo wrote:is it possible to open/close third party plugins from push (2) ?

this one I really need !
That and a keyboard shortcut to open the plugin of the selected device. The current shortcut forces you to open the plug-in at least one time before it takes effect. I cannot believe it is 2017 and there is still no solution for this in Live. How hard could it be to implement?

JannisPablo

Post by JannisPablo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:22 am

Anyone tested the tablet pen mode?!
Or any info, video or review how it works ?!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:31 am

JannisPablo wrote:Anyone tested the tablet pen mode?!
Or any info, video or review how it works ?!
It's probably not too different from now the current pen/tablet mode works when you activate absolutemousemode in Options.txt. The only difference being that now the option is accessible in preferences instead of having to create and edit a text file within the muck of a hidden directory.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:38 am

bubbleandsquawk wrote:Due to the m4l limitations, I’ve never really explored it properly but apparently you can’t even use 3rd party plugs in slave mode (news to me!), nor can you use a hardware controller.
I take this you mean is Rewire slave mode? Because I never ever noticed this running in sync to an external sequencer or another machine running Live.

Speaking of external sync, Rewire is not the only way these days to route internal audio. Therefore, if one plans to run Live in tandem with another DAW and Rewire prevent MFL, plug-ins and hardware controllers, one would be well advised to explore the alternatives.
Make some music!

DrTone

Post by DrTone » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:29 am

Been playing with the beta Version over the weekend. Here's my 2c observations:

- Basic Code seems to be more efficient. Eg: I was working on a song in L9 (MacBook Pro, End 2013, 2,3 GHz i7, 16GB) which took something like 40-44%CPU-load. I loads longer into L10beta but once its loaded, it hits only @ 28-30%. That's roughly 30% increase in efficiency! Quite impressive.

- Seems to be more stable than the recent L9 betas. Not a singe crash.

- Editing: Many things improved, but some worsened. Most annoyingly, L10beta does not allow for altering automation for a marked region in a single mouse-move anymore. DOH!
(Eg. Formerly, one could highlight a clip and Live would allow for changing the volume for the whole clip/highlighted region (i.e. highlights the corresponding region of the automation curve and - upon grabbing and moving - automatically inserts 4 breakpoints and moves the curve up/down). Seems gone. Dunno why, maybe it interferes with some other function/mouse gestures.)

- Like the new devices, esp. "Echo" has a nice sound. A bit annoying though that the noise in character-tab does never stop. Its really like an old noisy analog device; it always hums and hisses. I'd think, in the digital era one could just start/stop it with playback.

- Pedal is okay (has quite some bass oomph), drum buss is a bit too imprecise for me and Wavetable is something I did not really need but certainly a good synth. Has quite a bright signature sound (if that makes sense because ofcourse you can dull it). I mostly work with more muffy, dusty, smoky sounds; so Wavetable is not really for me. Also, Serum (which I own) is way more flexible and intuitive to program.

- I would have expected L10 to become more open/flexible/experimental in it's structure/configurability. I think the integration of M4L is a very good step in that direction. Immediately used some LFOs to liven up a mix. This could be taken much further and be mor native in future updates.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:38 pm

antic604 wrote:So how are you finding the new global show/hide automation toggle?

Personally, I find it being a step back. In my music, I don't have a lot of tracks - typically 20-30 - but almost each of them has several lines of automation: sometimes 1, sometimes 10. In Live 9 I could have most tracks collapsed to 1-unit size, 2-3 expanded so that I can see the waveform / MIDI notes and one completely expanded with automation visible. Now, in Live 10 Beta that's not possible, because once the global show automation toggle is on, it shows all automation lanes for all tracks taller than 1 unit. Obviously one can hide some of the lines, by clicking 'x', but then when you want it back you need to right-click, select 'show all automation lanes', hide the ones you don't want, etc.

I think the per-track hide/show automation toggle should be brought back (global toggle can stay, I'd keep it on).
Don't forget to bring this to the beta forum, please. I'm also on the grumpy side about this.
This is a very important topic, and it's worth discussing it.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Bring it to the forum too please :wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:21 am

[jur] wrote:
antic604 wrote:So how are you finding the new global show/hide automation toggle?

Personally, I find it being a step back. In my music, I don't have a lot of tracks - typically 20-30 - but almost each of them has several lines of automation: sometimes 1, sometimes 10. In Live 9 I could have most tracks collapsed to 1-unit size, 2-3 expanded so that I can see the waveform / MIDI notes and one completely expanded with automation visible. Now, in Live 10 Beta that's not possible, because once the global show automation toggle is on, it shows all automation lanes for all tracks taller than 1 unit. Obviously one can hide some of the lines, by clicking 'x', but then when you want it back you need to right-click, select 'show all automation lanes', hide the ones you don't want, etc.

I think the per-track hide/show automation toggle should be brought back (global toggle can stay, I'd keep it on).
Don't forget to bring this to the beta forum, please. I'm also on the grumpy side about this.
This is a very important topic, and it's worth discussing it.
That is indeed going backwards in ease-of-use.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:47 am

Got in on the beta. Opened up Live 10 in rewire slave mode, was able to load one of the three??? drum racks it could see?? and play the drum editor in Push 2.
Tried loading the Wave table synth into another Live track and it cashed Digital Performer..

Pretty crazy though that Ableton are able to and working on implementing Live being able to access Push 2 in slave mode, but cannot get Max 4 Live to work....
Of the two IMO it would figure that sending controller messages to two different DAWs in rewire mode would be more likely to cause stability issues than embedded M4L...

Oh and yes, this is awesome if the bugs get worked out! Maschine pretty much is getting put to the wayside compared to the capabilities that Live as a drum machine has for any DAW.
I really didn't work that much with Live rewired before because of how much functionality in Push gets lost, but if they nail this bugs wise, then Live is always useful even when working in other DAWs.

bubbleandsquawk

Post by bubbleandsquawk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:31 am

Stromkraft wrote: I take this you mean is Rewire slave mode? Because I never ever noticed this running in sync to an external sequencer or another machine running Live.

Speaking of external sync, Rewire is not the only way these days to route internal audio. Therefore, if one plans to run Live in tandem with another DAW and Rewire prevent MFL, plug-ins and hardware controllers, one would be well advised to explore the alternatives.
Yeah, for sure there are ways to route audio, but getting two different DAWs to sync is another matter. I've figured out how to do it via the mac IAC driver for now, it's not rock solid, but it should be alright for my needs. Do you know of any other ways to sync DAWs?

bubbleandsquawk

Post by bubbleandsquawk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:32 am

Machinesworking wrote:Got in on the beta. Opened up Live 10 in rewire slave mode, was able to load one of the three??? drum racks it could see?? and play the drum editor in Push 2.
Tried loading the Wave table synth into another Live track and it cashed Digital Performer..

Pretty crazy though that Ableton are able to and working on implementing Live being able to access Push 2 in slave mode, but cannot get Max 4 Live to work....
Of the two IMO it would figure that sending controller messages to two different DAWs in rewire mode would be more likely to cause stability issues than embedded M4L...

Oh and yes, this is awesome if the bugs get worked out! Maschine pretty much is getting put to the wayside compared to the capabilities that Live as a drum machine has for any DAW.
I really didn't work that much with Live rewired before because of how much functionality in Push gets lost, but if they nail this bugs wise, then Live is always useful even when working in other DAWs.
This sounds promising!