10 is announced!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Re: 10 is announced!

Post by ze2be » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:41 am

Tarekith wrote:Yes, most of the early testers have been using it as their sole daw for weeks or months now. I’ve been using it for client work for about two months now without a single issue.
Really?

Maybe I should try help out with the demo.. Feel like I ove them after all these years of non stop flowing music making.

Is it backward compatible with 9? I guess not because of new plugs and updated plugs. Yeah that want work..

Did you try to run 9 projects in 10?

Kim

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:26 pm

mekanism1200 wrote:So now that Ableton has opened the full screen synth can of worms I wonder if we will see other machines like operator get some full screen love?
I dont think so unfortunatelly, although I would love to be wrong. Only future new ones I guess. When Sampler came it was fullscreen out of the box, years ago. But they never upgraded the older plugs with this feature. OK, except EQ8 and Spectrum. So I guess there is a tiny hope, but im not waiting for it. Maybe Live 11 or later so thats 4-5 years at least..

But yes, an updated fullscreen Operator 2.0 would be amazing. (with 2 or 4 lfos please! :P)

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:32 pm

ze2be wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Yes, most of the early testers have been using it as their sole daw for weeks or months now. I’ve been using it for client work for about two months now without a single issue.
Really?

Maybe I should try help out with the demo.. Feel like I ove them after all these years of non stop flowing music making.

Is it backward compatible with 9? I guess not because of new plugs and updated plugs. Yeah that want work..
They seem to use the same format, which makes sense - Live 9 sets open in Live 10 with no messages or anything.

However, you can't go the other way - I have a feeling it would actually work as long as you don't use any of the new features, but if you try, you get the message "This set was created in a newer version of live, you need at least Live 10.0.bXXXX to open it".

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:42 pm

ze2be wrote:
Did you try to run 9 projects in 10?

Kim
Yes, many times, no issues at all here.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

fisto

Post by fisto » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:53 pm

määää, somehow disappointed about the upcoming version...
a few good workflow things were added, but that are all basic things, that every DAW has these days.

still no user.definded shortcuts? really?

I could not care less about the new effects and push updates either.

Seems like Ableton is going into an apple-style direction. Adding tiny features at a slow pace. Like pro tools too.

Still happy about the announcement, as I know now that I will switch to Bitwig 2 (the DAW that Live wanted to be always). Had checked it out last year and was waiting to see if something comes up in Live 10, but unfortunetely it is still the basic program that it has been for years. Nothing worth mentioning here. Just seems outdated in the meanwhile to be honest.

Only thing I like is the cosmetic changes, but I wanted to see some real and bigger workflow improvements and user-customisability. And for this upgrade price I think I'll pass and move on to more exiting and useful tools.

gg_bristol

Post by gg_bristol » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Have we finally got more than 128 automatable parameters in Live 10?? :o

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:07 pm

my immediate impression of using it is: it's very hard to see, for me, the contrast is all wrong and no combination of skins and brightness/saturation can really fix it. The fonts are really thin and small for an old lo-res monitor too, which makes it nasty on my desktop. I'm sure my laptop will love it though.
I've not really been sucked in by it, not immediately anyway.
This is partly because I have projects to finish that I am no way saving as L10 format, so I'm working in L9 for safety.

Now, I can see that all the little workflow things would be useful once I get them into my thick skull. So, for example: dragging a clip out of it's track makes a new track with all the right instruments, yep, I needed that today (and everyday). But it didn't make me say "right I've got to close L9 and open L10 to get that function". I just did it the slow way in L9. The pain of that issue is small.
The things in L9 which really wear on me - the damn browser, the inability to find my stuff, the lack of previews on my presets, etc. none of that is fixed in L10 - so again, no pressing need to switch over.
The other thing which kills my workflow every day is arranging chunks, verse and mix alternate versions, trying sections out before committing them. None of that is different either. So despite the nice slip-editing, I just do that the old way in L9 (click the clip, press ctrl on the start marker does slip editing in L9) .

Not to say it's a bad update - it's got a lot of stuff, but nothing that makes me need to switch over. I did really like the echo effect, and the wave synth has a nice interface and makes good noises. Those are nice and will be useful. But not essential workflow tools like ... well, every day I say "jesus fucking christ how can I arrange these damn sections, where did that damn middle bit go, did I just bloody delete it oh shit", etc.etc.
So the nice new things are nice and good, but nothing so essential that it is pulling me in, and that added to the sqinty-interface is keeping me working in L9

So, I'm sorry to say that L10 is gonna be a slow burn for me.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 pm

gg_bristol wrote:Have we finally got more than 128 automatable parameters in Live 10?? :o
I think not, but have yet to verify this.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:17 pm

dr_loop wrote:
graphixsounds wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
How can you ask for MPE and ignore polyphonic aftertouch, that's been part of the MIDI spec for 30 years or so? After all, MPE is not even two years and hardware support is limited. There's plenty of PA-supporting hardware out there, also old. Even Push support polyphonic aftertouch AFAIK.
of course, Poly AT is a no brainer. I don't understand why this isnt native in live 9/10. Its just weird when ableton puts Seaboards in their product/studio shots. They commission Roger Linn to give tutorials for their website, and the linnstrument is neglected here in a major way. I just don't get it. Bitwig has had PolyAT/MPE native and Ableton has the Push that supports poly AT and all of this is still missing in Live? Its crazy
... exactly my thoughts!
I think its time to face the truth. MPE/PolyAT will *never* happen!! :roll:
So they can force us to spend double dollars and by *Bitwig* instead.
Because Ableton and Bitwig are basically the same company. :evil:
I think multi-clip editing is actually a step in the right direction towards eventually implementing MPE and even vst3 support. If they get that one thing nailed down it kind of opens the floodgates of possibilities.

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 am

dr_loop wrote: …So they can force us to spend double dollars and by *Bitwig* instead.
Because Ableton and Bitwig are basically the same company. :evil:
Hey... I'm going into conspiracy mode here... :) (off topic, I know but someone just brought it up)
Has anyone checked if Ableton and Bitwig are actually still the same company and they decided to make Bitwig in order to check which direction would be the best to go or as a clever way to regain the users that were fed up with Live? ?Maybe it's silly but still - it would be pretty clever!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:13 am

Bitwig and Ableton have never been the same company.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:41 am

Tarekith wrote:Bitwig and Ableton have never been the same company.
That's just what THE MAN wants you to think! Look into it bro. There's a youtube documentary about it. etc.
Gerhard still works for NI, it's all a plot to steal our vital essence.

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:44 am

What? :lol:

condra

Post by condra » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:46 am

ze2be wrote:[
But yes, an updated fullscreen Operator 2.0 would be amazing. (with 2 or 4 lfos please! :P)
Would be amazing. I'm a little disappointed Operator wasn't improved, but it's still a fantastic synth by any measure.

condra

Post by condra » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:53 am

My first impressions after 2 days beta testing:
-- Overall worth the upgrade price for sure.
-- New font won't be to everyones taste
-- Arrangement workflow improvements are superb and very intuitive
-- I can't find any bugs. I'm trying!
-- Wavetable is a CPU hog (for now), but otherwise great
-- Capture is more useful than you might expect!
-- Pedal is brilliant
-- Drum Bus and Echo are pretty cool
-- MIDI editing is better than ever
-- Vector Graphics and higher frame rate are nice

I don't think this is gonna set anyones balls on fire, but those of us who use Live (and finish projects) regularly, will get more done, far easier.