Ext In. records every single piece of audio in project

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Brinkmon

Ext In. records every single piece of audio in project

Post by Brinkmon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:34 am

Hello fellows,

I created an account for this forum because i have an issue that I can't seem to solve for over a month, looked on forums everywhere and thought here I could take my final chance.
So I've got Ableton 9, the Steinberg UR 22 MK II audio interface and a tonload of synthesizers. When I open a new audio track to record audio from a synthesizer, i see that instead of only detecting audio from the synthesizers it also records every single bit of audio that is playing from the other tracks (see picture https://ibb.co/bvBADG). Since I want to record over an existing beatloop in Ableton, the kick loop is always added to the audio I record.

I've seen videos (from example Against The Clock) where there is lots of audio running in ableton, but when the producer want to add a new sound from a synthesizer, the audio track only detects that audio. I'm quite desperate because it's holding me back from making music for a long time now and it's making me angry every time I want to make some music. Thanks in advance!
Make the music you want to hear.

Brinkmon

Re: Ext In. records every single piece of audio in project

Post by Brinkmon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:54 am

So to make things a little easier to understand. EXT IN detects audio (from my kick loop from another track) while nothing external is plugged in inside my audio interface.

Funkin8

Post by Funkin8 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 pm

To help make this easier and narrow down a few possibles

Do you use an external mixer?
What are your monitors/headphones connected to?
Does the UR22 feature its own internal mixer?
Mac or PC?

My guess would be that it is to do with the the configuration of your soundcard (or your soundcards internal mixer functions). Does it sound like a feedback loop is forming from the audio output by your computer and being recorded by it?

Brinkmon

Post by Brinkmon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Funkin8 wrote:My guess would be that it is to do with the the configuration of your soundcard (or your soundcards internal mixer functions). Does it sound like a feedback loop is forming from the audio output by your computer and being recorded by it?
Spot on Funkin8! The loopback function was indeed enabled, I overlooked this part more than once. I can't thank you enough!

Funkin8

Post by Funkin8 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:28 pm

No worries :D glad you sorted it.