Best way to record "non virtuoso" Keyboardist. Suggestions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MIAR

Best way to record "non virtuoso" Keyboardist. Suggestions

Post by MIAR » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Guys,

A general question but to save time, this directed at those who do not have time to study and perform like a virtuoso when recording Midi Keys in Ableton. Any suggestions on how best to capture complex performances with loaded chord progressions etc. I have tried many combinations like looping sections, punch in, slowing Tempos and using midi plugs (like PIZ midichords) to allow one note playback of a large chords.

Depending on your level these tricks help and can get you there alright but with plgins, there is no variations of velocity and note start times. More time is then needed to manually vary note data which is pretty laborious and difficult for a free flowing performance. Humanizing is the end game here.

Curious if there are other suggestions (plugs, methods etc) you might suggestion for those who aim for less grid'ed mechanical keys.

Thanks

p.s Interesting Vid here i=on the subject but using ABE's Midi plugin does not quite allow different note end times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcIfFhd5Ha4

Richie Witch

Re: Best way to record "non virtuoso" Keyboardist. Suggestions

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:35 pm

You don't mention if you've tried step recording. Like you, my piano skills are beginner level at best, and step recording is the method I use most often.

With step recording enabled, I play the chord I want a few times until I think I've played it at the velocity I want, then I hit the right arrow key to step record the chord on the piano roll. This would give you everything you're looking for except the slight variations in note start timing.

The other trick I use, if I'm just jamming, is to record the MIDI without any timing. I just play along, which gives me lots of variation in velocity, chord, and note start timing, but in this case, the chords don't follow a consistent tempo. So after the MIDI has been recorded, I start pulling the chords to the left on the piano roll until I have the rhythm I'm looking for.

Sometimes, a sprinkling of legato, swing, and quantizing helps too.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 pm

the groove feature has a "random" feature.
Apply a groove and set timing to 0% then random to 15%. Now you can Commit it if you want to see how lumpy the note starts become.

I am a truly crappy keyboard player but I find that if I have a model version to copy (which I create via edits), I can then practice that and get a take down which is similar. Then I use parts of both takes, the edited comped version and the re-played version.

g k

Post by g k » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm a pretty good technical keyboards player, but if I want to record something crazy complex, my method is very low-tech. I just MIDI record it really slow - say half speed - unquantised. That way you don't process out the subtleties of timing that give it the feel, but you give yourself enough time & space to (a) get all the notes and chords right, and (b) consider in real time how it feels the dynamics should be going.

To me the human factor is all about genuine feeling, so randomising or post-processing doesn't really work for me - I just need enough time to feel the emotional vibe of the musical structure, and then it can be played back at full tempo with that intact.

Other possibility is to record a simplified version (for example a monophonic version) again unquantised, in real time or three-quarters speed, and then - now you have the note positions and velocities making emotional sense - duplicate the single notes at the same or similar positions to create the relevant chords.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:39 pm

I agree, I've rarely used the randomise feature. But it does exist if anyone needs one.

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 am

Very cool. Some great ideas there.

Especially like GK suggestions.

Thanks all! :D

MIAR

Post by MIAR » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Actually, while on the subject, does anyone know of an alternative to PIZ Midichords (that can actually vary slightly the start times of midi note on's)?