MPE Workaraound Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cfr

MPE Workaraound Live 10

Post by cfr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:43 am

Even though its not great, Its now a lot easier to edit MPE sequences. I disable exclusive arm, enable record on scene launch, make as many midi clips as you need for polyphony and point them to the vst. arm them all , record with a scene launch, and select all the clips to edit the midi notes with the new multi clip editing. I havent gotten into the automation on each track yet. Im sure thats probably hairy. An added interesting creative benefit is to launch all the clips at different times. Im glad for this. I usually open ableton with the assumption that i can find methods or workarounds for whatever ideas i have. before this mpe was so painful i just opted to record the audio and get the performance right. like a musician. ha. no more!

Stromkraft

Re: MPE Workaraound Live 10

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Say what?
Make some music!

cfr

Post by cfr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Oh my rambling at 1AM wasn’t clear? This is a method for using a Roli keyboard or Linnstrument that can send out a different midi channel for every note played. With real mpe support you wouldn’t have to make 8 midi tracks for 8 note polyphony, rather a single track in mpe mode or whatever could handle all the data. I figured out an ok workaround

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:04 pm

cfr wrote:Oh my rambling at 1AM wasn’t clear? This is a method for using a Roli keyboard or Linnstrument that can send out a different midi channel for every note played. With real mpe support you wouldn’t have to make 8 midi tracks for 8 note polyphony, rather a single track in mpe mode or whatever could handle all the data. I figured out an ok workaround
Ah, that classic workaround for polyphonic aftertouch, converted into channel pressure. Though I wasn't aware Live could recognize any MPE message. I assume you're using Max For Live or someting?
Make some music!

cfr

Post by cfr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:28 pm

when each note uses its own midi channel, it opens up independent pitch change per note, channel pressure/poly aftertouch, as well as independant control changes per note, etc.. Yeah it is the same workaround used in the past, but the difference is you can edit the midi as a group using multiclip editing, rather than hunting for notes spread over several clips. It is close enough that I can use Equator or AAlto in Live now with these features

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:08 pm

cfr wrote:when each note uses its own midi channel, it opens up independent pitch change per note, channel pressure/poly aftertouch, as well as independant control changes per note, etc.. Yeah it is the same workaround used in the past, but the difference is you can edit the midi as a group using multiclip editing, rather than hunting for notes spread over several clips. It is close enough that I can use Equator or AAlto in Live now with these features
Yes, but how does this apply to MPE? Is the format just packaged old school MIDI expression? It would appear so reading What is MPE?. That's great as that ties potentially together support for polyphonic aftertouch and MPE. I thought they were more different.
Make some music!

HelioSequence

Post by HelioSequence » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 pm

In both Sonar and Reaper there isn't any specific MPE support, but there is the option to not choose a specific midi channel for your midi output... ie midi omni input is simply mirrored as a midi omni output. So on one midi channel, any note, pitchbend, aftertouch or CC data on any midi channel coming in, just goes straight into the midi output as the same data and it's up to the synth to interpret the data. If your synth doesn't have per channel pitch bend or channel aftertouch, then your Roli/Haken/Linnstrument will act a bit wonky when doing any pitch or aftertouch stuff. If the synth is setup correctly (any multi-channel hardware or software synth, any MPE compatible softsynth or even the basic multi-channel support from U-He's synths) then it works flawlessly with only 1 midi track.

I'm new to Live and am excited about the different workflow and creative aspects for composing... but my buzz is immediately dulled as my Roli cries, unused, next to the Push2.