Alternative to Ableton's Looper

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Nirnir

Alternative to Ableton's Looper

Post by Nirnir » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Hi everyone
I'm looking for an alternative for Ableton's Looper (for 64-bit Windows).
(Hopefully a free one..)
There are some core problems with Ableton's Looper, the main one being the pitch-shift during tempo changes, which is devastating for live jam sessions..
I've looked around but haven't found any suitable alternative yet.
Million thanks <3 <3 <3

yur2die4

Re: Alternative to Ableton's Looper

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 pm

That's actually a tough one to find a replacement for, given the specific problem.

You could try using Live Clips instead of the Looper. Really wish they had a way to convert loops to clips hands-free without a workaround.

I think Traktor might have some kind of loop recording tech also. If you don't already have it, I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out. But if you do have it I'd look into it.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:51 pm

It's amazing there are no up-to-date looper plugins on the market considering how widespread looping has become in the hardware market. Live's looper will spontaneously bug out on me 1 out of 10 times. Sucks for live performance because of that.

Nirnir

Post by Nirnir » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks for the replies.

This sucks ):

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:17 pm

What's the downside using audio clips? I'm building songs without stopping, though in the studio. I don't use Looper. It's probably the only Live device I haven't even opened once.
Make some music!

Nirnir

Post by Nirnir » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:35 am

Stromkraft wrote:What's the downside using audio clips? I'm building songs without stopping, though in the studio. I don't use Looper. It's probably the only Live device I haven't even opened once.
It just doesn't work the way I want it to (for live performance).
However, I've started experimenting with ClyphX, and I think this is the answer to all my problems. \o/

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:31 am

Nirnir wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:What's the downside using audio clips? I'm building songs without stopping, though in the studio. I don't use Looper. It's probably the only Live device I haven't even opened once.
It just doesn't work the way I want it to (for live performance).
However, I've started experimenting with ClyphX, and I think this is the answer to all my problems. \o/
It's a wonderful tool. I also use his PXT Live, though maybe not the performance aspects so much.
Make some music!