Is it possible to record output of Roli Equator as audio ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sanbarrow

Is it possible to record output of Roli Equator as audio ?

Post by sanbarrow » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello
I am a beginner with Ableton Live and have problems with using a Roli Block via the Equator plugin.
Is it possible to record the audio output of Equator directly into Ableton ?
I already tried to record midi but so far I failed miserably.
At the moment I have to use very ugly workarounds using a second USB-interface.
This is the hardware that I have: older Macbook with 8GB RAM, recent Windows 7 laptop with 16 GB RAM, Zoom R16 Interface, Behringer XR18.
Thank you

Mannnolo

Re: Is it possible to record output of Roli Equator as audio ?

Post by Mannnolo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 am

Yes, it is, but with some work. I've done it a few times with the Seaboard Rise. Just follow the steps at https://support.roli.com/article/using- ... eton-live/

You may want to download the template. It works great, even thought Ableton is not MPE compatible. You can still record all MIDI in separate tracks on the template and route the output to an audio track, which you can then record.

If you only want the audio (and not the MIDI), there may be an easier way to do it, but I am not familiar with your interface and don't know how (and if) you can do the routing.

Cheers

sanbarrow

Post by sanbarrow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks for answering
I had tried the template from the Roli website with poor results.
Without modifications it "somehow" worked but did not capture all notes so it was basically unusable.
I read that it should work when you create all 16 midi channels but when I tried to do that something went wrong and I did not get any audio at all.
Looks like I have to do a lot of homework until I manage this approach.
Thank you
I will keep you updated on my efforts

rootsinthesky

Post by rootsinthesky » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:20 am

To record to audio just make an audio track outside of your roli group of tracks, set "audio from" to your roli group, and record.
Last edited by rootsinthesky on Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:50 am

It is fairly straightforward to ddo this, watch and follow steps in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptEXl27BbXg
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

rootsinthesky

Post by rootsinthesky » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:35 am

@Mark Williams, that was an incredible helpful video, thank you.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:02 pm

rootsinthesky wrote:@Mark Williams, that was an incredible helpful video, thank you.
No problem glad it helped. :)
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Muze

Post by Muze » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:34 am

So is Equator not a plugin?

EDIT ok says here it's a plugin

https://roli.com/products/software/equator-synth

any plugin can be recorded straight to audio in Live, just by routing the plugin track output to an audio track input, why would it be any more complicated for Equator?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:19 am

Muze wrote:So is Equator not a plugin?

any plugin can be recorded straight to audio in Live, just by routing the plugin track output to an audio track input, why would it be any more complicated for Equator?
Equator setup is slightly different due to amount of midi data it can spit out, audio takes just 1 track yes but to record midi takes a whole lot more. MPE Midi Polyphonic Expression.

Muze

Post by Muze » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:03 am

Mark Williams wrote:

Equator setup is slightly different due to amount of midi data it can spit out, audio takes just 1 track yes but to record midi takes a whole lot more. MPE Midi Polyphonic Expression.
Yes but surely that makes no difference if you are recording to audio? (not midi)

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Muze wrote:
Mark Williams wrote:

Yes but surely that makes no difference if you are recording to audio? (not midi)
Read the OP full post first, quite clearly couldnt record Midi either, so the help I gave solved both Audio and Midi. See below in case you missed it.
sanbarrow wrote: Is it possible to record the audio output of Equator directly into Ableton ?
I already tried to record midi but so far I failed miserably.

Muze

Post by Muze » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:46 am

I did, I assumed the recording to midi would be complicated because of the MPE stuff and Live not fully supporting some aspects of midi, hence the request to record direct to audio. I just didn't think that would be any different from how it works with other plugins.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:35 pm

Muze wrote:I did, I assumed the recording to midi would be complicated because of the MPE stuff and Live not fully supporting some aspects of midi, hence the request to record direct to audio. I just didn't think that would be any different from how it works with other plugins.
Midi setup is quite straightforward which to capture all the midi data is needed, once done, save as a template and never have to do it again :)