Good synth plugins other than Serum and Massive?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Christian_R

Re: Good synth plugins other than Serum and Massive?

Post by Christian_R » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 pm

crystalmsc wrote: Checkout Synthmaster, it has a very flexible engine with many different types of synthesis suitable for EDM. Also with a different character compared to Serum. Version 2.9 also came with a Wavetable Osc and their updates are top notch. It's $99 or if you are interested only with the Wavetable part, the Synthmaster One is only $39 through November. As a fan of Wavetable synths, it's one of my favorite.
I think I will give Synthmaster One a chance. But do you know if there are any other significant differences besides the Wavetable Osc?

Since I don't have too much experience with synth plugins, Synthmaster One seems like the best choice for me, it seems to have a more user friendly interface (even Serum got a little complicated I think). But I now see that you can buy SynthMaster One and SynthMaster 2.8. for only $64 (50% off), so that's a pretty good deal. But I don't know if it's really necessary to buy both of them. Do you know if the contain a lot of the same sounds and presets? Synthmaster One has 750 presets, so that's already quite a lot.

https://www.kv331audio.com/

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Shift Gorden wrote:
Stormkraft - I need to check out Element again. It's one of those synths that I've never really put the time into - but your solid recommendation is prompting me to re-visit it!
Yeah. I think it's a wonderful choice when you just need to get that sound right now. It's not overdone, just a lot of great ranges in those controls and I've found I can replace a Monark patch that took me some days to get right, in about 15 minutes. Not that the Element patch is up the same alley, Monark is rawer which I certainly like, but it's amazingly fast do to something great. The sound reminds me quite a bit of both Oberheim and Roland synths in that way without it trying to replicate something necessarily.

I have access to great hardware synths, old and new, and I really feel Element can compete with them and it was great fun when I blew the mind of one owner to some great synths away with a new track featuring this one. His eyes just lit up and you could see the question forming;: — What the *** was that??.

Hehehe.

This said, I make underground techno/house/ambient and even if I do enjoy slick productions the sounds I hear in what is called "EDM" like on the radio is not something that appeals to me. However, a versatile synth is a versatile synth no matter the style of music.

If I had the time, I probably would drool over some U-he synths right now. I'm already in love with TyrellN6.
Hey mate - thanks for this reply. I'm about to ditch work early to go mess with Element. BTW - would love to listen to some of your grooves.

I'll take a look at the TyrellN6 - Diva is amazeballs, and after neglecting Zebra for so long I have recently discovered the awesomeness of that synth too!!!

I must admit, a hardware synth has caught my eye and I won't stop obsessing over it until it's in my studio. Electron Analog 4 Mk 2. It whispers to me every day.

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 am

Heads up: Hybrid 3 is on sale for £1.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:14 am

Christian_R wrote:other significant differences besides the Wavetable Osc?
Synthmaster has many more synth types, including a Wavetable engine in the upcoming V2.9. But user interface is more complex than the Synthmaster One. They both contain different presets, not sure if in the future they will add the SM1 compatibility to the newer SM since it will contain a Wavetable engine as well. The beauty of the SM1 is in the simpler interface, which is faster to work with. If you are interested in a Wavetable sound combined with other synth types, than it's a great deal to get the SM as well for such a price.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

seb_rattansen

Post by seb_rattansen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Shift Gorden wrote:
Stormkraft - I need to check out Element again. It's one of those synths that I've never really put the time into - but your solid recommendation is prompting me to re-visit it!
Yeah. I think it's a wonderful choice when you just need to get that sound right now. It's not overdone, just a lot of great ranges in those controls and I've found I can replace a Monark patch that took me some days to get right, in about 15 minutes. Not that the Element patch is up the same alley, Monark is rawer which I certainly like, but it's amazingly fast do to something great. The sound reminds me quite a bit of both Oberheim and Roland synths in that way without it trying to replicate something necessarily.

I have access to great hardware synths, old and new, and I really feel Element can compete with them and it was great fun when I blew the mind of one owner to some great synths away with a new track featuring this one. His eyes just lit up and you could see the question forming;: — What the *** was that??.

Hehehe.

This said, I make underground techno/house/ambient and even if I do enjoy slick productions the sounds I hear in what is called "EDM" like on the radio is not something that appeals to me. However, a versatile synth is a versatile synth no matter the style of music.

If I had the time, I probably would drool over some U-he synths right now. I'm already in love with TyrellN6.
Can I ask a general/noob question. I'm just learning Ableton and music production over the last month. Alot of the tutorials say to learn Analog/Operator first in Ableton, before moving onto Serum etc. But I'm not exactly clear what the reason for this is. I thought it was because Analog/Operator are simpler, but that doesn't seem true. They are all synths right? Anyone able to explain? TY!

Oh...I also downloaded the demo of Sylenth and Serum and it seems easier to get a nice 'final' sound out of it than Analog/Operator, where you have to do quite a lot of tweaking to get a sound to sound good. Again, I'm not sure why this is.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:52 pm

seb_rattansen wrote: I'm just learning Ableton and music production over the last month. Alot of the tutorials say to learn Analog/Operator first in Ableton, before moving onto Serum etc. But I'm not exactly clear what the reason for this is. I thought it was because Analog/Operator are simpler, but that doesn't seem true. They are all synths right? Anyone able to explain? TY!

Oh...I also downloaded the demo of Sylenth and Serum and it seems easier to get a nice 'final' sound out of it than Analog/Operator, where you have to do quite a lot of tweaking to get a sound to sound good. Again, I'm not sure why this is.
I'd say that both Analog and Operator are simpler synths, which are not to say they are bad because of this necessarily. They are made, as far as I can can gather, to make as good sounds within their audial territory as possible while at the same time use as little CPU resources as possible.

They are both simple in that their signal paths are easy to follow and understand for the most part, but unlike Wavetable, this is countered a little bit by no full screen GUI.

Still they are easy to use in the study of the basics of their type of synthesis — Subtractive and FM as well as Additive and actually wavetable if you can program the wave (I'm not aware of a good way) — just as they are good for making a fast mock-up of a song.

As you already have them, I'd assume, then starting with exploring what you have at your disposal may be good thing. As time go by and experiences with other instruments happen, some of these may drop off your radar as you take up using new instruments. Which is what happened to myself. I do view these instruments as a baseline for Live and I'm glad I know them somewhat.

I think the reasons you need to make more tweaking is what I suggested before and here now, as well as the fact that Sylenth (€139 excl. VAT) and Serum ($189, I assume exl. VAT) are pretty stellar and is one reason they cost what they cost. I couldn't get a dollar price for Sylenth.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

seb_rattansen

Post by seb_rattansen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:42 am

Stromkraft wrote:
seb_rattansen wrote: I'm just learning Ableton and music production over the last month. Alot of the tutorials say to learn Analog/Operator first in Ableton, before moving onto Serum etc. But I'm not exactly clear what the reason for this is. I thought it was because Analog/Operator are simpler, but that doesn't seem true. They are all synths right? Anyone able to explain? TY!

I'd say that both Analog and Operator are simpler synths, which are not to say they are bad because of this necessarily. They are made, as far as I can can gather, to make as good sounds within their audial territory as possible while at the same time use as little CPU resources as possible.

They are both simple in that their signal paths are easy to follow and understand for the most part, but unlike Wavetable, this is countered a little bit by no full screen GUI.

Still they are easy to use in the study of the basics of their type of synthesis — Subtractive and FM as well as Additive and actually wavetable if you can program the wave (I'm not aware of a good way) — just as they are good for making a fast mock-up of a song.

As you already have them, I'd assume, then starting with exploring what you have at your disposal may be good thing. As time go by and experiences with other instruments happen, some of these my drop off your radar as you take up using new instruments.

I think the reasons you need to make more tweaking is what I suggested before and here now, as well as the fact that Sylenth (€139 excl. VAT) and Serum ($189, I assume exl. VAT) are pretty stellar and is one reason they cost what they cost. I couldn't get a dollar price for Sylenth.
Thanks for answering my question!

login

Post by login » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Serum is a good starter synth, modulations are visible and animated in real time, that makes easy to follow what is hapenning. It has a very clear layout.

strangedaysuk

Post by strangedaysuk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:25 pm

My 3:

Sylenth
Nexus
Spire

Many will dis Nexus - their loss, combined with other synths its great for just having stuff on tap - yes its more of a rompler thank a synth but underneath it has a wealth of cool options.

Sylenth - Easy to use, I can get good analog sounds from it and it gives me the sounds I'm after - yes presets are good, but its actually easy to play and mess with.

Spire - just good fun and sounds great.

I've very rarely wanted more than these 3 as its a wealth of options and sounds. Some of the other stuff by UHE and Waves that are mentioned are great too, but I say pick a few learn hard and make them your synth slaves.

Serum - never got into it not saying its not good, its very popular - perhaps I have yet to learn what really does it for others - anyone care to elaborate on what makes it good or better than the others?

Soarer

Post by Soarer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Be sure to check out Icarus wavetable synth from Tone2. It should be way more light on CPU than Serum and I like it much better.
And as others have mentioned, Spire - it sounds superb.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Anyone tried the Hybrid 3, that still seems to be on sale?
Make some music!

TheWholeDamnZoo

Post by TheWholeDamnZoo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:45 pm

Stromkraft wrote:Anyone tried the Hybrid 3, that still seems to be on sale?
I got it and really like the presets. Haven't gotten around to actually learn it or program any sounds in it, though. Definitely worth the $1 I spent on it just for the presets.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:06 am

I've had it for ages. It comes bundled with the Akai Advance and i'm an unofficial NKS developer so Air Instruments send me their latest and greatest so I can create NKS for them.

For that cost you would be mad not to grab it. It's one of the leaders in their collection along with Loom II, nice clean sounds. Little fiddly but the presets give you a good variety of starting points.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:28 am

jestermgee wrote:
I've had it for ages. It comes bundled with the Akai Advance and i'm an unofficial NKS developer so Air Instruments send me their latest and greatest so I can create NKS for them.

For that cost you would be mad not to grab it. It's one of the leaders in their collection along with Loom II, nice clean sounds. Little fiddly but the presets give you a good variety of starting points.
Yeah, I did get it, but I will likely give it away as a gift. I've got so many great synths already. I'm phasing them out actually. But I'll probably play with the demo.

Hybrid 3 comes off as versatile enough that its wavetable section (that I believe I saw) can replace my old favourite the Z3TA+ 2, that likely wil be EOL together with Cakewalk (Gee, thanks Gibson).
Make some music!

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:54 am

I got the Hybrid with the Air collection when I bought the MPC Touch. I quite like all of them to be honest. Omnisphere 2 is my go to synth tho. Reacktor 6, sub-boombase are a couple more that I use. I suppose in the end it all depends on what I feel like using at the time.
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.