Good synth plugins other than Serum and Massive?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Christian_R

Good synth plugins other than Serum and Massive?

Post by Christian_R » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 am

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a new synth plugin for making EDM music. I already have Serum and I'm quite happy with that, but I would like to try out some more sounds. Preferably in the same style more or less, but still different.

From what I understand, Massive is quite similar to Serum? So buying that would then be a waste of money?

So I would love to get some good tips!

Stromkraft

Re: Good synth plugins other than Serum and Massive?

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:23 am

Christian_R wrote:Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a new synth plugin for making EDM music. I already have Serum and I'm quite happy with that, but I would like to try out some more sounds. Preferably in the same style more or less, but still different.

From what I understand, Massive is quite similar to Serum? So buying that would then be a waste of money?

Just get Sylenth and be done. Especially if you like using presets.

Another tip, my current personal favourite, that probably sounds great for anything, is Waves Element 2.0 Virtual Analog Synth. If you try the demo I think you'll be blown away. Honestly I think Sylenth pales in comparison, but I understand it's popular among people doing what they call "EDM". I'm even questioning why I should use Monark now.

Element is currently $59 (half-price, and $53.10 with my discount link below).

Massive, which I use occasionally, is a very versatile wavetable synthesizer that can sound very nice, just as I assume Serum does. One plus may be Massive likely uses less CPU. I haven't really compared though.
Make some music!

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Stromkraft wrote: Just get Sylenth and be done. Especially if you like using presets.

Another tip, my current personal favourite, that probably sounds great for anything, is Waves Element 2.0 Virtual Analog Synth. If you try the demo I think you'll be blown away. Honestly I think Sylenth pales in comparison, but I understand it's popular among people doing what they call "EDM". I'm even questioning why I should use Monark now.

Element is currently $59 (half-price, and $53.10 with my discount link below).

Massive, which I use occasionally, is a very versatile wavetable synthesizer that can sound very nice, just as I assume Serum does. One plus may be Massive likely uses less CPU. I haven't really compared though.
OK, thanks for the tips. I will definitely check those out :D

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Christian_R wrote:but I would like to try out some more sounds. Preferably in the same style more or less, but still different.
Checkout Synthmaster, it has a very flexible engine with many different types of synthesis suitable for EDM. Also with a different character compared to Serum. Version 2.9 also came with a Wavetable Osc and their updates are top notch. It's $99 or if you are interested only with the Wavetable part, the Synthmaster One is only $39 through November. As a fan of Wavetable synths, it's one of my favorite.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Christian_R wrote:Hi,

Synthmaster
Dune
Hive

All three of those are pretty good all arounders and have a nice modern sound. Synthmaster in particular is very affordable and probably is one of the best synths for the money you can buy.

It's interface isn't the greatest but it pretty much does almost any synthesis type decently. Its younger sibling Synthmaster 1 is even more affordable (specializes in wavetable) and is more comparable to Serum/Massive. It doesn't have that Serum Crisp/Clean sound but it still sounds pretty phat and for the money a great synth.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Omnisphere. It will give you a lot different sounds compared to Serum, and is an excellent analog modelled synth too.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Tarekith wrote:Omnisphere. It will give you a lot different sounds compared to Serum, and is an excellent analog modeled synth too.
If you got the budget, I'd echo this too. I got this over the summer, and I honestly wish I'd picked it up sooner. It really is absolutely mind-blowing, and it's an absolute breeze to program.

Synthmaster has been mentioned - this is another really solid synth. It's perfectly suited to electronica.

If you want more of an analog/vintage vibe, u-he's Diva is killer.

Stormkraft - I need to check out Element again. It's one of those synths that I've never really put the time into - but your solid recommendation is prompting me to re-visit it!

login

Post by login » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:44 pm

U-he DIva, Bazille, ACE and Repro 1 offer a character that Serum doesn't have.

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Good for what? There are dozens of "good" synths suitable for EDM, more than you can actually try in your lifetime.

I own and recommend Dune 2, Harmor, Hybrid 3 for generic EDM.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:21 pm

antic604 wrote: - RePro-1 (https://www.u-he.com/cms/repro-1 although if you buy now, polyphonic Repro-5 is free early 2018)
What are you doing? Now I have to add this to my purchase list. I, I… well, thank you :roll:
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:
Stormkraft - I need to check out Element again. It's one of those synths that I've never really put the time into - but your solid recommendation is prompting me to re-visit it!
Yeah. I think it's a wonderful choice when you just need to get that sound right now. It's not overdone, just a lot of great ranges in those controls and I've found I can replace a Monark patch that took me some days to get right, in about 15 minutes. Not that the Element patch is up the same alley, Monark is rawer which I certainly like, but it's amazingly fast do to something great. The sound reminds me quite a bit of both Oberheim and Roland synths in that way without it trying to replicate something necessarily.

I have access to great hardware synths, old and new, and I really feel Element can compete with them and it was great fun when I blew the mind of one owner to some great synths away with a new track featuring this one. His eyes just lit up and you could see the question forming;: — What the *** was that??.

Hehehe.

This said, I make underground techno/house/ambient and even if I do enjoy slick productions the sounds I hear in what is called "EDM" like on the radio is not something that appeals to me. However, a versatile synth is a versatile synth no matter the style of music.

If I had the time, I probably would drool over some U-he synths right now. I'm already in love with TyrellN6.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Do yourself a favor and check out the Rob Papen synths before you buy anything.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Vengeance Avenger
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Warmonger wrote:Good for what? There are dozens of "good" synths suitable for EDM, more than you can actually try in your lifetime.

I own and recommend Dune 2, Harmor, Hybrid 3 for generic EDM.
Harmor looks very interesting. A few questions:
* Having watched a few youtube vids on it, it looks very well integrated in FL. Does it work as well in Live or are there limitations?
* Are there any good tutorials that cover all functionality of it?
* Is there any trial? (I could not find it on Image Line.)

All the best,
Sven

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the answers!

I will look into the different ones before I decide what I choose. I see that SynthMaster One has a 50% discount out November, so I'll probably buy that anyways :)