iZotope Vocalsynth - worth it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

iZotope Vocalsynth - worth it?

Post by sporkles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:31 pm

I've kind of liked the idea since its release, but I've always felt that I could achieve the same results with Ableton's vocoder and resonators. The pull for me would be that it's an all-in-one device.

Does anyone own Vocalsynth? Would you recommend it? It's currently 50% off.

rtroost

Re: iZotope Vocalsynth - worth it?

Post by rtroost » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:31 am

sporkles wrote:I've kind of liked the idea since its release, but I've always felt that I could achieve the same results with Ableton's vocoder and resonators. The pull for me would be that it's an all-in-one device.

Does anyone own Vocalsynth? Would you recommend it? It's currently 50% off.
I have it, its nice having all those bits in one interface. Im not sure I would buy it again if I didnt own it though. Definitely can get there with other things. Think of it more as an inspiration machine. Also; its reasonably CPU hungry.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 am

Cheers. I already have plenty of resource hogs, so I don't really crave yet another one. Still looks like a handy tool, but maybe it's a bit symptomatic of our time that a relatively simple tally task like routing a synth to the vocoder is not convenient enough... :?

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:24 pm

I got it, too - and I totally echo what rtroost said.

It can do some cool and magical things, but I'm not sure if it's revolutionary??? Honestly, I've used it on a couple of projects so I'm certainly not using it to its full potential!

hkennedy1975

Post by hkennedy1975 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Following the Izotope instructions to using vocalsynth with live, and having issues. Anyone here familiar with the setup and want to share a breakdown of the process? I used the Izotope instructions, but still cant seem to get it right. I feel that I am missing something...google did not help me much. Thanks in advance!!! :mrgreen:

Post by 102455 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:17 pm

hkennedy1975 wrote:I feel that I am missing something
Yes, what you're missing is exact details of the "issues" you're having.

Nobody can help unless you say what the issues are.

hkennedy1975

Post by hkennedy1975 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:06 pm

The issue I was having with it was that after setting up midi mode with Vocalsynth, I am not able to use my controller to manipulate the internal synths of the plugin. In essence, I had no output. Sorry for the earlier vague non-description. I am a newer ableton user as well, so that doesnt help either. :)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:50 pm

While I never got around to checking out Vocalsynth, the usual way to set up an audio effect to accept MIDI input is pretty straightforward:
1) Drop the plugin on a track (let's assume it's called "1 Audio") (preferably an audio track with a playing audio clip, so that you can be sure you'll hear the effect immediately).
2) Make a MIDI track (“2 MIDI”) and set its MIDI output to the audio track containing the effect, in this case Vocalsynth on "1 Audio". Normally, Vocalsynth should be automatically selected in the dropdown below the "MIDI to" dropdown, because it's the only unit that can accept MIDI on that track.

Is this the method you've already tried?

Another thing is if Live is set to arm on focus, you need to keep the MIDI track in focus in order for it to receive MIDI notes from your controller. If you want to tweak parameters on Vocalsynth at the same time, you need to disable “Exclusive Arm” in the preferences and make sure both tracks are armed.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:06 pm

to be honest:
it looks somebody put a voice-mudal together and resale it in different shapes,
like it has been done before with different VST.Products

look at this https://polyversemusic.com/products/manipulator/