Integrating Maschine and Ableton together

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cookie444

Integrating Maschine and Ableton together

Post by Cookie444 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Hello! Im looking to integrate maschine 2.3 with ableton 9.7.5. The tutorials i've found have only gotten me so far and I cant seem to map midi from maschine into ableton. This is the video that was most helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qShdLPi1jcY

Thank you so much in advance

Stromkraft

Re: Integrating Maschine and Ableton together

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:28 pm

Cookie444 wrote:Hello! Im looking to integrate maschine 2.3 with ableton 9.7.5. The tutorials i've found have only gotten me so far and I cant seem to map midi from maschine into ableton. This is the video that was most helpful

Two of my friends gave up more or less. I think the key is to view Maschine like a separate hardware device and export just some audio files and use that in Live. But I really don't know what I'm talking about. I don't really like Maschine, except maybe for controlling NI plug-ins.

Hopefully someone else with more focus can help you by filling in here now.
Make some music!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:21 am

Yeah I have Maschine Studio for development reasons, I have loaded it into Live and it's so clunky as a controller for Live compared to Push. I don't even fancy trying to integrate it into a project. It's a fancy looking thing but like a lot of things NI does, it's not much more than a "cool idea" because it just doesn't seem "finished" in terms of DAW integration. Doesn't even offer the smart features of the MK3 for Live which I don't understand why not.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 am

Maybe this is the solution: nativeKONTROL MXT-Live for the Native Instruments Maschine MK2 "turns the controller into an extremely powerful control surface for Ableton Live 9" (quote from site).
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:19 pm

As a midi controller, the NI offerings from their software are fine.

It's when people want to integrate Maschine more into Live where things get tricky. People often want Live channels to send and receive patterns but also want to be able to make patterns inside Maschine. And then want audio clips from Maschine and want control of both audio fx in Maschine or audio fx as channels run out of Maschine and through Live.

And they'll often come up with a lot of ideas in Maschine and then either want to export a loop as a full mix or as individual parts.

There are a lot of things about Maschine which make any of these functions possible and easy. It's when people want to be able to do many of these at once and quickly that it becomes a headache for them.

For myself, I simply look at Maschine as a vst Groovebox/arranger which can hold its own on a single channel. But that's only for My needs, and I'd understand if people had other ways they wanted to integrate it.

As a MIDI controller in Live, NI gives a very nice template with their Controller Editor, often with an instruction PDF. They've gone through a few versions, each with a lot of features but always kind of changing the approach slightly. And sometimes Live updates have broken those scripts (but not lately).

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Cookie444 wrote:Hello! Im looking to integrate maschine 2.3 with ableton 9.7.5. The tutorials i've found have only gotten me so far and I cant seem to map midi from maschine into ableton. This is the video that was most helpful

There are a few ways to integrate Maschine into Ableton.

1. Using Maschine controller as an Ableton controller. This is probably the most rewarding method especially if you don't own a good all purpose Ableton controller like Push. The Maschine controller is actually pretty decent for Live. I believe NI has walkthroughs on setting this up. It isn't too difficult to setup. Only gripe is whenenver Ableton does an update it tends to erase the NI controller Maps as they aren't designed by Ableton but by NI and you have to recopy them in the Ableton folder.

2. Using Ableton as the main DAW and Maschine as the idea sketcher. Not bad if you like the Maschine sequencer over Ableton's. Its pretty easy to convert your midi files to audio just by dragging them in Ableton's sequencer (or any DAWS sequencer for that matter).

3. Sequencing in Ableton and using Maschine as a Sound Module. IMO this is pretty complicated to setup. I hardly ever do this as you spend about 5-10 minutes setting up Maschine to respond to Ableton's midi messages. There might be easier ways.

4. Using both Ableton and Maschine as two independent sequencers. Not that bad once you get used to it. IMO it works best though if you use Ableton in ArrangeView over Session as in SessionView it is easier for the sequencers to get off track with each other.

telecode101

Post by telecode101 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi, sorry to resurrect an old thread.

So just to confirm, *you can't* user maschine as a controller to sequence Ableton drum parts? I am anew users and am trying to get around to getting it to work.

I installed and setup Maschine as a midi controller and setup the ableton templates and can see it but it seems I can only control some parts of Ableton DAW. I haven't been able to see a way to create midi notes and sequence in Ableton using Abletons sounds with the Maschine as a controller. Maybe I am missing a link.

MuzikFreq

Post by MuzikFreq » Mon May 27, 2019 3:24 pm

telecode101 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 pm

So just to confirm, *you can't* user maschine as a controller to sequence Ableton drum parts? I am anew users and am trying to get around to getting it to work.

I installed and setup Maschine as a midi controller and setup the ableton templates and can see it but it seems I can only control some parts of Ableton DAW. I haven't been able to see a way to create midi notes and sequence in Ableton using Abletons sounds with the Maschine as a controller. Maybe I am missing a link.
Yeahhhhh you need the legacy template but I find it rather... Difficult to remember what I'm controlling with that one.

If you learn how to route the midi ins and out and the audio in and out it becomes easier when you need to do it the next time.

Personally I mainly use my Maschine Jam as an ableton controller with my m32 and keystep. Maschine is more or less acting like a bit soundcard.

telecode101

Post by telecode101 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:42 am

MuzikFreq wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:24 pm
telecode101 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Yeahhhhh you need the legacy template but I find it rather... Difficult to remember what I'm controlling with that one.

If you learn how to route the midi ins and out and the audio in and out it becomes easier when you need to do it the next time.

Personally I mainly use my Maschine Jam as an ableton controller with my m32 and keystep. Maschine is more or less acting like a bit soundcard.
Thanks. I did manage to figure out how to use Maschine with it. I also happen to own a Jam. So you say the Jam control integrates better and more logically -- as in the play and and record buttons actually do what they are labeled to do?

Why do you need to route midi ins and outs? What is that useful for?