How to set up external sequencer/MIDI input in Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
iguai

How to set up external sequencer/MIDI input in Ableton

Post by iguai » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:01 am

Hi I just discovered Fugue Machine, but this question could apply to a LOT of other situations (In fact, I think I've had it before but just didn't bother asking!)

So: how do you route an external sequencer IN to Ableton without affecting the tracks you don't want it to?

Put another way: how do you have some (more than one) but not ALL midi inputs active for a track?

Here is my specific case in point:
I'm using Fugue Machine on my iPad to sequence an instance of Operator on a track.
The tracks' MIDI FROM is set to " Fugue Machine" virtual port from my Ipad.
Thats great but it does not allow me to use my Push (or any other source) to add additional note data over the top. Also, if I move over and arm another MIDI track to play on (with Push or my keyboard), this track now receives the note data from Fugue Machine. I could remedy that by setting that track's MIDI FROM chooser to "ableton Push 2", but then I would not be able to enter note data fromm my keyboard, or from wherever else.

Im so confused by this! People must be wanting to use multiple MIDI inputs into tracks without wanting to use ALL MIDI inputs.

Stromkraft

Re: How to set up external sequencer/MIDI input in Ableton

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:04 am

iguai wrote: it does not allow me to use my Push (or any other source) to add additional note data over the top.
Yes, it does indeed allow this. Just set:

The links above lead to relevant sections of the Live 9 manual. There comes a time in every Live user's path when it's time to read this well-written pamphlet more thoroughly, in parts at least.
Make some music!

iguai

Post by iguai » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 am

Stromkraft wrote:
iguai wrote: it does not allow me to use my Push (or any other source) to add additional note data over the top.

The links above lead to relevant sections of the Live 9 manual. There comes a time in every Live user's path when it's time to read this well-written pamphlet more thoroughly, in parts at least.
Stromkraft thanks for replying, but I'm not getting this result.
My Push 2 is only working for note input if the track's MIDI From is set to "All Ins" and "All Channels"
This is regardless of the arm state or monitor state of the track.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:15 pm

iguai wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

Stromkraft thanks for replying, but I'm not getting this result.
My Push 2 is only working for note input if the track's MIDI From is set to "All Ins" and "All Channels"
This is regardless of the arm state or monitor state of the track.
I replied only to what I quoted. With this approach you can mix the external sequencer and Push on the same track.

For tracks where you don't want the external sequencer, but need other inputs you need something else.
Make some music!

iguai

Post by iguai » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Bump

hps909

Post by hps909 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:33 am

wouldn't you just set midi from to ALL?
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:50 am

...the problem is that when you then switch to another channel the external sequencer outputs to this channel and "loses" the connection to the first channel...i also haven't found a solution to this...it seems that it's not (yet) possible...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

iguai

Post by iguai » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:44 am

If anyone is trying to find a solution to the problem of needing
"more than one MIDI input, but not ALL", I did find a solution:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... d-receiver
...a Max 4 Live device that acts as a merger.

Also, on OSX, one could also use Midi Pipe
http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html

There are probably other solutions for Windows as well.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:48 am

I made it a link.
Make some music!