Failing to open audio device (interface)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pinsonic

Failing to open audio device (interface)

Post by Pinsonic » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 pm

2 audio interfaces i have to tried to connect (iConnectAUDIO and Focusrite Scarlett2i2 gen1).
Ableton failed to open both devices, although i installed the recent asio drivers for them.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

They work on normal windows sound.

I run win10 64bit

thanks for any advice

Stromkraft

Re: Failing to open audio device (interface)

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Pinsonic wrote:
Ableton failed to open both devices
You mean acknowledge in preferences? How exactly not open? Could another device be using these somewhere else in Windows?
Make some music!

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Pinsonic wrote:although i installed the recent asio drivers for them.
Try using ASIO4ALL if you haven't already.
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Did you have them both connected at the same time? Windows won't allow more than one audio device.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Pinsonic

Post by Pinsonic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:56 pm

thank you for the answers so far

-did not have them connected at the same time
-ok, i could try asio4all (no disadvantages compared to native asio driver?)
- yes, i mean acknowledge in preferences...

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Sorry, Pinsonic, I forgot, it was my AKAI EIC audio interface that needed the ASIO4ALL driver. It's the Focusrite ASIO driver that's working for me on my 2i2 gen2 interface.
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

Pinsonic

Post by Pinsonic » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:59 pm

yeah, i can use the asio4all and specify the 2i2 as the hardware, but i have to use cosiderable buffer not to hear cracks... i think my pc is recent enough with 16 GB ram and i5 processor to "deserve" lower latency (Asio4all gives me 21ms at 256 Samples... i guess driver errer compensation makes no difference when playing samples with a usb keyboard? i can get i down to half a millisecond, but still feels like i have delay)

@Stace30 do you see something with 2i2 in the ableton audio preferences, or do you see "Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver" like i do... problem is, ableton keeps saying it fails to open...

Pinsonic

Post by Pinsonic » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:11 pm

i just tried installing on a different pc and apparently it work fine there... that pc is a laptop though, slower... so how could i make my desktop take that sound card ! the it jungle is killing me ...

login

Post by login » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Uninstall the drivers, check for windows updates, once you are sure you are up to date reinstall the drivers. Your issue can be related to unsigned drivers, have seen it before.

Snowdragon

Post by Snowdragon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:11 am

I am having this same issue

I had to reinstall one of my computers, It is the one I use for my Ableton live 10.
I was just setting up and configuring everything, and I have a Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen that I run my Mic through.
I installed the drivers. But when Itry to set it as my audio device in Ableton (selecting "Focusrite Asio USB"

it says "Failed to open audio Device "Focusrite Asio usb""

Now I know its installed, and I can get sound from it through my computer. and it works when contted to my laptops VDJ2020.

I have searched google for a solution, but so far come up empty.

Anyone else know anything that could help?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:41 am

Could be another device accessing the asio driver or it is not correctly installed. Chances are if you open another daw or application you will also be unable to select the asio driver. try a reboot and check you have no other software accessing the asio driver. I get this any time live crashes, the asio driver appears to just lock up even after powering off my interface and a reboot is the only solution.

Rockstone140

Post by Rockstone140 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:42 pm

SOLVED.

Took me forever but I figured it out.

Go to your PC settings<privacy<microphone

Allow apps to access microphone.

Mine was shut off. No idea how but now everything works and Ableton picks up my interface now.

jfriesen

Post by jfriesen » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:43 am

Hmmm mine does not show 'microphone.'

LifeOfTunaCrab

Post by LifeOfTunaCrab » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:56 pm

I had a similar issue and followed this thread trying to solve it without success. Thought I'd post my solution here for anyone in the same situation.

Audio interface (Zoom UAC-2) worked fine in Windows 10 64 bit, but when trying to load Zoom UAC-2 ASIO driver in Live 10 I got the "failed to open audio device" error. When selecting ASIO4ALL as audio device, Zoom UAC-2 would not show in the input config drop down menu and no sound would be recorded through the device in Ableton. It did however show in the hardware setup device list, where I needed to enable it by clicking the power button next to its name.

In the end, I manually entered "Zoom UAC-2 Driver" into the text boxes of the input config menu and it worked. If you are using a different audio interface, check if it shows in the "Link MIDI" tab under MIDI ports and copy whatever it says there.

Good luck!