VSTs on Desktop AND laptop machine?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

VSTs on Desktop AND laptop machine?

Post by Citizen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 am

Hey, I'm looking to have a portable production laptop, and I was wondering what the deal is with most plug-ins –can you run them on two seperate computers (provided they are not used simultaneously) – or is each company different with their licensing?

I know I've run Maschine on two seperate computers before, so I gather NI is cool with it, and Ableton, too, from memory.

Any experiences with other companies? It would be cool to have as close to a mirror set-up on my laptop.

Thanks in advance! :D

C

Richie Witch

Re: VSTs on Desktop AND laptop machine?

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:00 pm

I can't think of a company that allows less than three installs of their vst's. Even those with "virtual" iLok (sans dongle), like Eventide and UVI, allow three installs.

Of course, if you do have the physical dongle, there is no real limit since the license moves with the dongle, regardless of how many places you install the vst.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 am

It depends on the developer but every single plugin I have (Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Sylenth, Air, Korg etc) allows activation on at least 2 systems at a time.

I wish every vendor used the online ilok because that is by far the easiest way to manage activations and know what is active on which machine.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:29 am

Except for today when the ilok server went down and lots of people are stuck with plugins they can’t use.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:30 am

Tarekith wrote:Except for today when the ilok server went down and lots of people are stuck with plugins they can’t use.
Ha.

I'd take an occasional server hiccup over a physical dongle any day tho

login

Post by login » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:55 pm

U-he, valhalla, NI, waldorf, XLN audio, all are fine for this.

randi

Post by randi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Waves only works on one maschine (except by always moving licences, which is a PITA). major disadvantage (that plus the "non-scaly" nature of there plugins)