Destructive Processing in Live:

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cmprvndncr

Destructive Processing in Live:

Post by cmprvndncr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:32 am

Hey there pals,

Hope y'all are well... I have been using my OP-1 a whole lot over the past year, and I am really getting into the destructive nature of the processing... I also come from a background of running ProTools on various underpowered systems, and found myself using audiosuite a lot (audiosuite is a feature that allows you to process any clip with various effects and then have it "printed")...

So I'm curious to know about everyone's favourite ways to do destructive editing in live. Do ya'll just use the freeze function? Do you setup a send into another track? If so, is there any delay compensation factors to be aware of?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Cheers,

- Ryan

Stromkraft

Re: Destructive Processing in Live:

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:35 am

cmprvndncr wrote:
So I'm curious to know about everyone's favourite ways to do destructive editing in live. Do ya'll just use the freeze function? Do you setup a send into another track? If so, is there any delay compensation factors to be aware of?
Recording from source
I simply record directly Prefader from source input. Freeze/flatten obviously works as well, but I don't trust it as much as I do recording.

Freeze/flatten does have one advantage, which is that mixer automation is retained. With recording I have to copy & paste that, which can be tedious. With Freeze/flatten I cut/paste any devices I want to retain for whatever reason, sometimes freezing only and grouping the track and pasting into the group. Usually this is temporary though.
In addition, Freeze/flatten is impervious to audio crackles (most of the time anyway).

Re-sample
I never re-sample really as I have processing on the master I don't want in a recording. Nor do I export/reimport unless I have a very specific reason.

Record from
Occasionally I use "send only" in return tracks. I still keep all sends disabled in this return and output is of course not going anywhere. Instead I set an audio track to get its source from this return. One reason for this could be to record the return processing.

Don't have circular audio routes active
The thing to look out for when routing stuff around, is to not create a route that could be part of a feedback loop. One example would be to have an enabled send in the audio track of my example above back to the source return track that it gets it source input from. This will cause extra latency in the return audio signal which cannot be compensated. Note that there need not be any signal, just a possible route. So disabling sends to sources is a good idea.

Same thing with any audio tracks getting its input from another. Make sure there is no route back to the source.

Erroneous Latency Reporting
Another thing are plug-ins that report the wrong latency, but I think that's invariant for all possible recording methods.
Make some music!

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:24 am

Thanks man!

Appreciate your reply.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:49 am

You can copy and paste processed audio from frozen track to other track.

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:22 am

pencilrocket wrote:You can copy and paste processed audio from frozen track to other track.
Holy cow, such a simple but excellent tip!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:42 am

pencilrocket wrote:You can copy and paste processed audio from frozen track to other track.
Yes, thanks for that reminder. You could of course also drag and drop it.
Make some music!