Ableton 10 is obsolet!

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
[chris b]

Re: Ableton 10 is obsolet!

Post by [chris b] » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm

I'm already on the latest official release of Max, unless there's a beta of that as well?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:11 pm

[chris b] wrote:I'm already on the latest official release of Max, unless there's a beta of that as well?
Live 10 ships with Max 8 built-in. C74 is only at 7.3 officially.

[chris b]

Post by [chris b] » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:43 pm

I don't have that device then. Strange.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Its not a device. Its an object to make devices with. So some devices should pop up shortly after the release.

smb468

Post by smb468 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:50 am

I'm loving the update but one thing I can't believe Ableton hasn't implemented is 3rd party plugin sidechain support. Yes I know you can achieve this with routing but watching Logic users sidechain 3rd party plugs makes me seriously jealous. With just a drop down menu from within the plugin they can chose the sidechain trigger as any track they want. No ridiculous routing needs to be done and no need to click around to other tracks to set it up. That being said, it's nowhere near enough of an inconvenience to make me switch to another DAW but it just doesn't seem like a difficult addition to me. Given that Ableton has maybe the most powerful and flexible routing options of any DAW, adding a sidechain trigger selector inside of 3rd party plugins seems like childs play. But I'm not a programmer so I could be completely wrong about that.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:32 pm

smb468 wrote:I'm loving the update but one thing I can't believe Ableton hasn't implemented is 3rd party plugin sidechain support. Yes I know you can achieve this with routing but watching Logic users sidechain 3rd party plugs makes me seriously jealous. With just a drop down menu from within the plugin they can chose the sidechain trigger as any track they want. No ridiculous routing needs to be done and no need to click around to other tracks to set it up.
Why don't you go to suggestions at ableton.centercode.com and write a suggestion to add this? Then let us know here and we'll upvote it!

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:37 am

locojohn wrote:
smb468 wrote:I'm loving the update but one thing I can't believe Ableton hasn't implemented is 3rd party plugin sidechain support. Yes I know you can achieve this with routing but watching Logic users sidechain 3rd party plugs makes me seriously jealous. With just a drop down menu from within the plugin they can chose the sidechain trigger as any track they want. No ridiculous routing needs to be done and no need to click around to other tracks to set it up.
Why don't you go to suggestions at ableton.centercode.com and write a suggestion to add this? Then let us know here and we'll upvote it!

Andrejs
Or even better, link to one of the existing ones!
Make some music!

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:14 am

hoffman2k wrote:
[chris b] wrote:I'm already on the latest official release of Max, unless there's a beta of that as well?
I had to download the latest Max build manually in order to be able to use the object in Max and I already have the 10 beta installed.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:25 pm

cskracer wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
I had to download the latest Max build manually in order to be able to use the object in Max and I already have the 10 beta installed.
You're saying you couldn't use the [live.banks] object until you downloaded Max 7? That doesn't make sense though. That object is new to Max 8 and should only be available in the Max 8 beta that is bundled with the Live 10 beta.
Unsound Designer

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 pm

cskracer wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
Hey, please make sure to report this @Centercode!!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Razz CE

Post by Razz CE » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:35 pm

You're saying you couldn't use the [live.banks] object until you downloaded Max 7? That doesn't make sense though. That object is new to Max 8 and should only be available in the Max 8 beta that is bundled with the Live 10 beta.
I didn't even know about Live.Banks but I'll have to check. What I did notice is downloading the new Max version from my Ableton account did add the native LFO and Shaper modules (didn't check for the drumsynths but I'm sure they're in there too). And also... no Max loading screen when you click a Max device for the first time, which is pretty nice. That loading screen always made me feel vaguely reluctant to use M4L -- like I'm weighing down my DAW by opening another application -- especially since until version 9.6 or 9.7 there was a pretty decent chance that splash screen would crash Live.

Side note, I think the Live 10 update is really good. Like, REALLY good. I'm not that hard to please; I was pretty happy with Live to begin with, but the nested groups is a big deal for me. There's some controversy over the new automation view, but I absolutely love having a key binding for automation lanes. And being able to assign a key to lock automation lanes as well. Lots of little quality of life improvements. The only thing I really wanted and didn't get is comping, but I have Cubase for recording vocals. If I was solely using Live and they rolled out this update with no comping I'd probably be a little disappointed, but aside from that it's got everything I need.

And can we take a moment to appreciate Capture? what a cool freaking idea. It's exactly the kind of creative improvement you don't see coming and wouldn't have asked for, but then when they announced it you go "oh, of course, that's Ableton all over"

If I have one complaint aside from lack of comping, it's the amount of new devices/instruments. Every time I see Live coming out with new instruments and effects I just think, man, I wish they'd spent that time and effort improving the DAW itself. Like, who at this point doesn't have a wavetable synth? A preferred distortion plugin? A preferred drum bus chain? And I'm sorry to say so but 95% of the time those external plugins are better than what you get inside your DAW, be it Ableton or not. Echo actually looks really cool, but I've got Echoboy, Timeless 2 and Relayer. I guess this stuff will be nice for working on my laptop where CPU consumption is more of a concern but when I look at this stuff I just see a missed opportunity to improve the actual work environment in Live. The improvements to Utility are very welcome though.
Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 9 3900XT
UAD Apollo/ART Voice Channel
Ableton Live 10/Cubase 10.5
Push 2/Moog Subsequent 37

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:33 pm

I just shake my head when people post that Live 10 is not a major update. The Wavetable Synth is maybe one of the least important addition, yet everyone seems to concentrate on this one thing.

For me, it is the deluge of small tweaks that make this an exciting update. Things likes the "Sub to Mono" on the Utility with adjustable frequency, the improved GUI scaling, faster color coding, and being able to see the midi notes in multiple tracks got me hooked. I was working out a bassline from a complex chord progression just today and really could have used that.

I wish that Sampler got some more attention like Simpler did, but I am sure that is coming.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

cskracer

Post by cskracer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 pm

[jur] wrote:
Hey, please make sure to report this @Centercode!!
I’ll uninstall 9, 10 and Max tonight. Then reinstall 9 and the old Max and 10 and see what happens.

However I definitely couldn’t find the live.banks object until after i updated Max manually. I went looking straight after the earlier post in this thread.

Emerald1968

Post by Emerald1968 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm loving the capture feature this has been a godsend to me, I'm still in exploratory mode with 10 but so far I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Roll on release :D

Razz CE

Post by Razz CE » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:05 pm

Emerald1968 wrote:I'm loving the capture feature this has been a godsend to me, I'm still in exploratory mode with 10 but so far I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Roll on release :D
Yeah capture is amazing. Stuff like this is one of the reasons i love Ableton. Companies like to throw around the word innovative but this actually is. And it really coalesces with Ableton's philosophy of facilitating the free flow of creativity.

Idgaf what anyone says. We Live users have it pretty good.

A lot of the nice little quality of life improvements made in Live 10 have barely had any time to sink in too. Once i break my habits of working within the paradigm of L9, itll be even better.
Win 10 Pro
Ryzen 9 3900XT
UAD Apollo/ART Voice Channel
Ableton Live 10/Cubase 10.5
Push 2/Moog Subsequent 37