How to set groove by default?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
McAnix

How to set groove by default?

Post by McAnix » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:41 pm

How do I set groove by default when recording a new midi clip?

Every time I record a new midi clip the groove is always set to none, how do I change it to default to a specific groove?

Cheers!

McAnix

Re: How to set groove by default?

Post by McAnix » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:48 am

Well if anyone else was wondering, Ableton got back to me and apparently this isn't possible.

I wonder if a max patch could do it?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:05 pm

McAnix wrote:How do I set groove by default when recording a new midi clip?
Well you can't as you know now.

What I have done is that I placed all my fav groove into my template, making it a quick affair to select a groove, in new songs, and then change my mind is just as quick. Much like previewing kicks within a mix with 128s.

I use many different grooves for different parts as that typically sounds so much better. All it takes to get an ear for it is practice.

You need to watch out for note lengths if you use it for non-percussive parts. Then you will have to commit and edit the lengths, I wish Ableton would address this.
Make some music!

pale1

Post by pale1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Hey, what you can do though, is to record onto an existing midi clip (overdub) with a groove allready applied. A midi clip does not need to contain notes. Play away and once the loop starts over you have the groove or quantization you want.

Cheers
Macbook
Rme babyface pro
push 2
Genelec 1030A
Analogue gear
Stuff amassed through time

http://www.soundcloud.com/foss
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsEWQB ... smHhob59Xg

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:10 pm

Hey pale1,

Yeah that's what I've doing for now and it works.......but I would like some kind of default setting. I can't program in Max yet but I would like to find out if it's possible to get a Max patch to do that. I believe there is a Max wikipedia page that details what can be "manipulated" in Live by Max.

mikb

Post by mikb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 pm

McAnix wrote:Hey pale1,

Yeah that's what I've doing for now and it works.......but I would like some kind of default setting. I can't program in Max yet but I would like to find out if it's possible to get a Max patch to do that. I believe there is a Max wikipedia page that details what can be "manipulated" in Live by Max.
Please investigate this.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 am

So here is the document I was referring to : https://docs.cycling74.com/max5/refpage ... model.html

It's the Live Object Model.

I basically know nothing about programming M4L but it would appear that changing the groove of a clip with Max isn't possible.

If any M4L gurus think it is, let us know.

Cheers!