Convince me to switch back to Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
F34TH3R

Convince me to switch back to Ableton Live

Post by F34TH3R » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 pm

So about 2 years ago I sold my copy of Ableton Live and bought Logic Pro X. With the release of live 10 I'm being drawn back in. Can you guys list some positives for going back to Ableton Live and some of the downsides. Thanks
F34TH3R

Stromkraft

Re: Convince me to switch back to Ableton Live

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:14 am

I see no reason to convince you. You can only convince yourself.

But I can mention that I have great fun every day. I produce about 20-30 times more music than in Logic 8 and the results are about twenty times better. That's me though, but as I said I'm having great fun. I haven't tried LogicX, so can't compare.
Make some music!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:29 am

Depends on what your workflow is and what you're trying to do. Sometimes one DAW suits a workflow better than another. Hard to convince you if we don't understand what you're looking for or how you work.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:32 am

Mostly the reasons to switch are features you like in a DAW that your current DAW cannot do.
We know nothing about why you left Live, so we know nothing about why you should come back to Live.

Here's some clues, I like some of the advanced MIDI features of DP9 VS Live, so sometimes I use DP9 over Live because I'm aware that a song I'm working on will benefit from that.
Sometimes I like the immediacy of Live and working with DP9 is all about knowing what you want to achieve and setting it up to achieve that, whereas Live is really good when you have a loop that you want to attempt to make into a song.

Your turn..

timday

Post by timday » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:34 am

Things Live does better than Logic IMO (or Logic doesn't do at all):
Fast work flow
Racks
Session view
M4L

But, I mean, that stuff's already in 9. If you prefer Logic, you prefer Logic.

Stuff that is being fixed in 10 apparently:
Snap automation
Layered MIDI editing
Proper stereo panning

If you moved away because you really needed these things butotherwise liked LIve maybe you should take a second look

Stuff that really should be fixed but isn't being apparently:
Comping

Seriously if you need decent comping stick with something else.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:16 am

The thing that pulled from Cubase - which I used for almost 20 yrs - was Push2, and the way the workflow with Push(2) is. I made the switch and never looked back. Live 10 seems to be even more exciting and also Push2 shines in 10!

You know what you had 2 yrs back, and it will be some more. But as stated before, it depends on your workflow though. I always had a hate affair with Logic, so for me it would be easy LOL.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

F34TH3R

Post by F34TH3R » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Mostly the reasons to switch are features you like in a DAW that your current DAW cannot do.
We know nothing about why you left Live, so we know nothing about why you should come back to Live.

Here's some clues, I like some of the advanced MIDI features of DP9 VS Live, so sometimes I use DP9 over Live because I'm aware that a song I'm working on will benefit from that.
Sometimes I like the immediacy of Live and working with DP9 is all about knowing what you want to achieve and setting it up to achieve that, whereas Live is really good when you have a loop that you want to attempt to make into a song.

Your turn..
Ok so one of the main reasons I switched to logic was because I really like the linear recording style of logic...although when I switched I was more into hip hop but I've started making a lot of edm lately which I think would be nice to have the looping capability of live. One thing I really hate In logic is automation and since theres so much of that in edm styles I'm struggling to keep a fast workflow. Maybe that can help?
F34TH3R

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:39 pm

F34TH3R wrote:One thing I really hate In logic is automation and since theres so much of that in edm styles I'm struggling to keep a fast workflow. Maybe that can help?
At the moment there is some controversy over the new Arrangement automation features of Live 10. IF Ableton improves on their now very Logic-like — as I understand it — show/hide automation feature Live will remain great for automation. If not, you feel right at home there. Which might not be what you wanted.
Make some music!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:04 pm

F34TH3R wrote: Ok so one of the main reasons I switched to logic was because I really like the linear recording style of logic...although when I switched I was more into hip hop but I've started making a lot of edm lately which I think would be nice to have the looping capability of live. One thing I really hate In logic is automation and since theres so much of that in edm styles I'm struggling to keep a fast workflow. Maybe that can help?
OK I love Live, but automation is better in Logic. It really is, I'm not trying to disrespect Live, I'm using it more and more these days, but Logic's automation fine tuning is far better than what you get in Live. The biggest advantage in Live that way is Clip automation, and you can do similar things in Logic, i.e. copy paste measures of automation data, and it's been years, (Logic 8 was the last version I used), but I seem to recall some way to get automation data to loop, thereby giving you a facsimile of Clip automation.
Again not trying to disrespect Live, but if you're talking about full track automation, then Logic beats Live hands down, if you're talking about clip automation VS arguably the clunkier methods to do that in Logic, Live would be your choice.