control faders in live mixer with keyboard

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danny klim

control faders in live mixer with keyboard

Post by danny klim » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi

I’m looking for a way to control faders in the ableton live mixer with volume keys on mac keyboard. Could you please help?

I use Ableton Live as my audio hub and route itunes/youtube through it. I use an aggregate device, which makes it so that i can’t control the audio volume with the volume keys on the mac. This is a necessary setup for my studio, but its kind of annoying that it makes it so that i can’t control the volume of itunes or youtube with my keyboard volume keys.

Is there any way to control faders in the ableton live mixer with volume keys on mac keyboard? If i could program the buttons to raise/lower the faders by 5db at a time (or something like that), it would be perfect.

Or is there any way to control the audio volume with the volume keys on the mac when i am using a I use an aggregate device? That would also fix the issue.

Thanks, Dan

Edit- it doesn't necessarily need to be the volume keys on the keyboard that control this. if i could use any keys on the keyboard, that would work too

McAnix

Re: control faders in live mixer with keyboard

Post by McAnix » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:31 am

Hi there,

So the first thing that I thought of when I saw your post was Tom Cosm's 8 button slider, it is a M4L device. Not sure if you have Max though.

Search "8 Button Slider - Tom Cosm Max For Live Toolkit" on youtube. This might work for you. Just make sure you get the latest version, I think it's 2.0.

Another option is Bome MIDI translator. You should be able to convert the volume buttons into MIDI messages and then map that to Live. I don't have bome and I am not familiar with it but check out "Convert MIDI To Keystrokes With Bome MIDI Translator" on youtube. It seems you can translate the keystrokes to MIDI and visa versa.

There is another really cool translator I found the other day but I cant remember it's name.

Lastly, it is a really cheap option to build your own MIDI device that can have just one CC knob on it. Check out the DJ tech tools website, they have a bunch of cool tutorials on building your own MIDI controllers.

Cheers!