live 9 warping a wav file - does not line up

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Woodsglen

live 9 warping a wav file - does not line up

Post by Woodsglen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm not having much luck. looked at lots of video tutorials and I'm just missing something.

1. want to "remake" a wav file for accompaniment of a choral piece.
2. I added a 4 bar intro by copy and paste, inserted on front end ( based on 1st phrase of piece ).. rendered that to a new audio file.
3. deleted the .asd file and brought the fully rendered audio clip into Ableton ( like a new file )
4. taped tempo in session view... based on 2/4/ time. 61.97 BPM
5 double clicked file in session view.. set 1.1.1 ( complex pro )

Now this is where I'm not getting it.
6. according to my understanding, copy file into arrangement view, set warp to master .. after x bars, the beats and measures don't line up.

Can anyone point me to a youtube video are some "tutorial" that I can have the timing of the song and the measures add up?

No matter what I've looked at, or read, none of it makes any sense and non of it seems to work.

Thanks for any insight.

WG

pottering

Re: live 9 warping a wav file - does not line up

Post by pottering » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:32 pm

",set warp to master .."

If you set a Clip to Master, it will play in its natural tempo (as if Warp was off).

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/audio ... ster-slave

Set to "Master" is not a needed step to Warp.
♥♥♥

yur2die4

Re: live 9 warping a wav file - does not line up

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:53 pm

That process sounds not ideal by any means.

What kind of material are you warping? Recorded vocals? Instruments played by humans? Dance beats?

What kind of material was the tutorials?

Tap tempo alone might not determine the tempo of a musical piece the most accurately. Instead of constantly trying to hope Live places the markers for you in various ways it is probably best to do the warping by hand with a mouse and moving the waveforms to align with the grid.

All you can really get from the tap tempo is a 'general idea' if the tempo.

For human-timed recordings I'll often listen and place warp markers at the start of every 4 or 8 bars through the entire piece. (Moving from left to right, and making sure there are NO markers to the right as you work your way through)

Then I'll go back and look for any parts that are shifted away from where they would be most ideal and add a marker to points where it is 'most out of line with the grid'.

Then Save that warped clip. It might sound funky since warping affects audio quality but it should most importantly sound ON TIME.

This is when that master/slave button comes handy. Since you have a lot of markers with a lot of tempo variation, you'll have trouble aligning other material to it unless you make that clip the master. When you do that the clip will likely be closer to sounding as clean as it originally was (unless you're using complex warp modes).

If you're trying to force the recording to be in time with a tight beat, then forget about doing the master method and just plop it into arrangement view after you've warped it.

The most crucial part is warping properly. And trying to have the computer guess usually results in an unruly mess.