No sounds during playback and looper setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danny klim

No sounds during playback and looper setup

Post by danny klim » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi

I am having an issue with Live not ‘hearing’ or producing any sounds during playback and am trying to fix it, Could you please help?

I just tested it and realized that the way that I have set up some looper tracks are causing the problem somehow.

I currently send all of my instruments and instrument groups through three successive audio ‘bus’ tracks that each have a looper device on them before going to the master (you can see this at link below). These must all be record enabled for the audio to go to the master.

When they are record enabled, however, Live does not ‘hear’ or produce any new sounds while clips are playing back. I will hear the clip(s) play back, but it wont play any new sound that I play on any midi instrument and it won’t show any new waveforms on any track mixer. It won’t hear or produce any new sounds until I hit stop or I go down a clip and hit play again. I just tried using only one track for the looper instead of three and found the same result.

When I send the audio from a track straight to the master, however, I don’t have this issue at all.

I was sending all of the audio from instruments to the looper bus tracks because I want to be able to use the same looper (or successive loopers for multi-track looping) on all of my instruments rather than having a looper on each track. But its clearly messing something up.

Why is this happening?

What am I doing wrong with the way that I made the ‘bus' tracks for the loopers and how can I fix it? Maybe I should use send and return tracks instead? Whats the best way to set this up?

Thanks, Dan

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij11co5tiv9jc ... 1.png?dl=0

yur2die4

Re: No sounds during playback and looper setup

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:19 am

On your loop tracks set Monitor in/auto/off to Off. keep them armed. Instead of audio to: going to different channels have Audio to go to Master.

For Audio From set it to receive audio from whatever your audio is coming from, like the piano. For Looper 1, Audio From Looper 1 for Looper 2. Etc.

Then all loops will play on the master. All your audio will always play on the master. But all your loopers will record the audio (without sending it out until you Play the clip. Which would make sense since as you're recording it it is already sending to the master anyway. This let's your instrument always be uninterrupted)

I think an issue you'll run into is having doubling up of audio since Looper 2 is recording Looper 1 and when it plays back it'll play back audio from Looper 1 plus 2 while Looper 1 is also already playing. An alternative fix to that would be to set ALL Looper channels to receive From the piano channel and have piano channel go out to Master. All loopers Armed, Monitor: off, output to Master. Then you could record new material in any of those slots but it would not record into Looper 2 stuff from Looper 1. So you have the option of muting the material from Looper 1 if you want.

TT1

Re: No sounds during playback and looper setup

Post by TT1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:22 am

When this happens try to click on the MIDI track that's not playing and search for the same instrument you used and double click it again, worked for me.