Please recommend keyboard to complement Push

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Guduleo

Re: Please recommend keyboard to complement Push

Post by Guduleo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:15 pm

SvenH wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:08 pm
Thanks for all contributions to this thread!

Having looked into the various keyboards discussed in this thread, the best keyboard *today* seems to be Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2.

A keyboard with this price tag, though, I think I should be able to expect to last many, many years. And I get the impression of the hardware that it could last 10+ years.

The issue that scares me a bit however, is that this kind of controller with decent Ableton Live integration requires advanced software to work as intended. Even if the hardware will last some 10+ years, as soon as the firmware/software developer (in this case Native Instruments) does not find it profitable to support the controller with necessary updates, the Live integration may stop working and the controller may very quickly loose its original value. :(
Hey, any update on this? I'd be curious to know what you ended up buying and how did it work with Push and Ableton. Thanks!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:28 am

SvenH wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:06 pm
I want a new midi keyboard to complement Push 2. Here are my rough specs - it should have:

* 61 keys. (I am not sure whether 88 keys will fit into my studio space, but that may be an option...)

* velocity and aftertouch.

* mod wheel and pitch bend.

* at least semi weighted keys.

* transport controls. I don't need faders, rotaries or drum pads - those bases are covered by the Push. None the less, I find nearby transport controls nice when recording.

* Lat but not the least - it should work well with Live. I.e. it should BOTH be officially supported AND known by users to work well in practice more or less out of the box. I don't want to be forced to fiddle with scripts, firmware updates etc. every month to keep things working...

Grateful for recommendations,
Sven

Novation Launchkey is one of my favorite Ableton controllers as it can control a good bit of Ableton's GUI right out of the box. It isnt semi weighted or after touch capable however. Its synth action is decent though. They make a higher end model though which I haven't played.

There seem to be a gap at controllers with great key action and good functionality.

There are some good controllers though like Komplete kontrol but I'm not sure of how well it integrates with Ableton but Maschine integrates pretty good so maybe it has similar native support as well.

My favorite key action goes to Kurzweil keyboards. Semi Weighted (k2600) has weight for dynamic playing yet not clunky. Their synth action 2000s are good too. Feels like sex. But no native support. I wish they would make controllers. But Kurzweils are pretty pricey.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:43 am

Guduleo wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:15 pm
Hey, any update on this? I'd be curious to know what you ended up buying and how did it work with Push and Ableton. Thanks!
I bought Arturia Keylab 49 mkii and I am quite happy with that keyboard. And for the music that I make, the included Analog Lab was a welcome addition!