Sudden CPU Issues - Ableton Reset Needed?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adam_mc

Sudden CPU Issues - Ableton Reset Needed?

Post by adam_mc » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi and Happy New Year.

Up until yesterday morning, everything on my Macbook running Sierra was working fine.

I have been using Live 10 Beta but also have Live 9.7 installed.

Yesterday morning I experienced a programme crash while using the beta. Nothing worrying about that. However, I didn't reopen live. I closed my machine down and went and started to prepare for the celebrations of the new year.

Yesterday evening I return to my macbook. I switch everything on. Open Live 10 Beta (which has been pretty solid regardless of the rare crash that had taken place). It asks if I want to recover my set; I said no.

Live opens but the CPU is hitting 135% when only having Repro 5 loaded. Playing more than one key and the audio collapses. Playing one key is just about manageable. Prior to the crash I could have 3 instances Repro.

I have removed Repro and tried Diva. Same issues. Any VSTs that I load cause the CPU to jump to insane levels.

This happens if I open Live 9.7 also.

So . . .

I will send this into Ableton but imagine it'll be a while before I hear back; New Year's Hangovers take a while to clear.

In the meantime - what files are there that I can delete that may be holding historical data that is corrupting Live?

Thanks for any help,
Adam
APM/BPM Folkestone Kent UK

Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Quad Core i7 8gb Ram, Live 9, Push and other bits and pieces

jestermgee

Re: Sudden CPU Issues - Ableton Reset Needed?

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:17 pm

I would recommend raising discussions about Beta versions in the Beta forums on Centercode since anyone with the Beta will be registered on there...

But possibly if it's doing it after a crash it could have a corrupt library database and be rescanning the library. Maybe leave it for 10 minutes with live open and see if it settles. Though i'd collect a crash report and send it to Ableton at the very least if it crashes again and if the issue continues maybe start a thread in centercode.

adam_mc

Post by adam_mc » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:45 pm

Yeah,
I was going to post on the Beta forum but the fact that my 9.7 was also presenting the samee issues encouraged me to post here too.

I've left the machine and live for over 30 minutes: no change.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:37 pm

sounds like a database issue, have you tried a rebuild on database?

Does it occur with other vst's?

See your only down road from me in Kent. :)
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

adam_mc

Post by adam_mc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:21 am

Cheers Mark.
Any advice is welcome at the moment.
Yeah I'm just down the road; I worked in Deal for nearly 3 years at the secondary school there.

With your database idea; how do I do a rebuild.

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year.
Adam

chrk

Post by chrk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 am

adam_mc wrote:With your database idea; how do I do a rebuild.
Here's the instructions: "Can't access file database: Database Error: Disk I/O error"

But be patient, a full rebuild may take longer than the 30 mins you've let Live idle in the other post.

There's another knowledge base article on how to reset preferences: How to reset Live. But I'd try the database first.

adam_mc

Post by adam_mc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Tried all these things. No change.

Not sure whether to try using Sierra OS to latest version. May bugger other things up though and not solve this.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Is it just Repro this happens with. Anything else running in background taking up disk/cpu usage. Im PC so no nothing about Macs.

which school Walmer sec or Castle, or whatever there names are now, - why o why do schools keep changing names. lol.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

adam_mc

Re: Sudden CPU Issues - Ableton Reset Needed? - SOLVED

Post by adam_mc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 am

Finally solved this issue last night.

I run a Geekbench test on my Macbook; it came back with results that were a third of what the machine should have been capable of.

Read around a bit; did an SMC reset; restarted the machine and then Live. Everything suddenly as right as rain.

Thanks to those who responded with suggestions. Happy New Year to you.

Adam