audio and vocal sound unbalanced - help!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bombastic

audio and vocal sound unbalanced - help!!

Post by Bombastic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:28 am

Hi there, I am struggling to put the vocal and music together - they sound "disconnected".. I think the FX on the audio and vocal are good, but they dont sound like they "fit" together - its strange - any advice would be good.
This is the song - https://soundcloud.com/slumberlords/rai ... ng-b-e-a-u

Da hand

Re: audio and vocal sound unbalanced - help!!

Post by Da hand » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:04 am

Very nice work! It's a very nice song and vocal!

To my ears, the vocal has a bit too much reverb / delay (especially the delay part) making the vocal not sound like it is in the same ambient space as the rest of the "band".

I am not sure if you are using Reverb and Delay separately or both in one effect, but I would dial back the effect on the vocal - especially the delay part - to make it fit more. Also the vocal sounds like it may have a bit too much Low Cut EQ on it - it sounds a bit too thin perhaps, whereas the instruments sound more rounded.

Bombastic

Post by Bombastic » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Da Hand thanks so much for the advice! I removed the low cut on the vocal and reduced the delay (amount and tone). I've replaced the link above with the new version - its only a subtle change but I think its better. I hate mixing it takes so bloody long yet is so important to get right.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:40 pm

You are very welcome! Glad to help :)

Nice! It sounds much more together now! And it's better without the LC EQ.

Of course, due to having less reverb/delay effect on it now, the vocal has lost a bit of the "space" is was occupying. Which is very good - especially in the quiet parts!

But one more thing you can try, if you want to bring back a bit of that power to the vocal during the refrains - is to bring back a bit more of the reverb/delay effect for the refrains only, when the music is more full and powerful. Having just a bit more for the "full on band rocking out" parts. Essentially having the effect more "full" when the music is more "full", making the vocal sound more full.

I think it might strike a nice balance between the more quiet parts feeling like they are more intimate (like they are now, which is great) and the large parts being, well, large ;) It doesn't mean it will work, but something to try perhaps - very subtly, so you only get a sense that there is more in the big parts, without actually being able to say "oh yes, there is more reverb there".

Yes mixing takes a long time to get right. It took me years to start hearing things properly to the point where I was satisfied with my mixes, but of course I never stop learning and things get better and better. But it is not easy and sometimes we can get stuck in the mixing process because we are too close to the creation of the project. Then we have to leave it aside for some time to gain objectivity or get a more objective second opinion :)

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 pm

btw, on a side note - there is a click sound between 1:11-1:12 (between the words "self" and "again") that you might want to take a look at where it's coming from. Might just be a missed fade on an abrupt cut somewhere or a hard automation change.

There are two more subtle clicks around 3:44 (on the "at you") and 4:18.

Once you find the sources, you might want to check if there are other places on those tracks that the clicks occur, even if they are more hidden in the full mix.

Just trying to help make it sound as good as it can be :wink:

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:17 am

nice track.

i didn't hear the first version, but in my opinion the vocal reverb in the piano intro is a bit too harsh and metallic.

also—and maybe this was deliberate—there sounds like there is an echo effect on the first 'alone', which then gets turned off? anything goes of course, but perhaps it detracts from the intimacy and immediacy of the vocal?

Bombastic

Post by Bombastic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:50 pm

guys thanks so much for the feedback and ill look into making some of the changes - I agree the song is still not quite "right". Its Christmas (Reyes) here in Spain so pretty busy so Ill have a tweak either tomorrow or Sunday. thanks!