Mixing ableton and youtube

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bombastic

Mixing ableton and youtube

Post by Bombastic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi I'm trying make a series of ableton tutorials for youtube but I can't seem to get it to work through my laptop so now I'm thinking about getting a cheap mixer to sort out the routing. Any ideas or thoughts as to the best type of budget mixer on the market for this type of thing?

Re: Mixing ableton and youtube

Post by 102455 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:33 pm

What's the problem with the routing (and what are you routing)? As for budget - what is your budget?

Bombastic

Post by Bombastic » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:01 pm

My budget is less than £40.
I use a usb headset to listen and talk. I use asio4all and this normally works fine.
For video I have obs which is where the problem is. I can normally record my voice into an audio track but with obs I cannot record both my voice and ableton at the same time. The one time it almost got it to work the latency was very bad.
I think a mixer might help as I can route both audio sources into that.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:18 pm

But if you have a USB headset how would you rout that to your mixer, then back into the PC, then to OBS?

First thing I would recommend is not using a USB headset as the recording source because that would create a whole nother audio interface device to manage.

You really want to have a mic plugged into your existing audio interface and rout that into Live then set live as the audio source in OBS.

The issue you will have is if you use ASIO drivers you cannot record that within OBS and if you use Direct audio drivers you will have latency.

The way I have to do it is rout live out a set of stereo outs on my interface into an external mixer. I then have a mic connected to the mixer which I can then buss with the Live feed and send back to an input in the computer which then goes to the recorder software so I am recording an external input which I can rout everything too.

That "could" work for you but depends on what audio interface you have (none I guess because you are using ASIO4All) and the routing options you have (not much if you don't have an interface). Also, it will depend on how you can rout your USB interface.

Just some advice, USB headsets tend to sound very "thin" with the mic. Clear for games etc but I have watched my share of youtube tutorials and the ones I tend to skip are ones using headset mics because the voice quality and breathing is always annoying.

Bombastic

Post by Bombastic » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:56 am

Thanks for the advice jestermcgee I suspected that and hence why I was looking for recommendations on a mixer. I have a dynamic Mike but no stand so that's why I never use it and yes also no soundcard so also don't have phantom power at the moment either! I was hoping to just use a usb headset as it's so convenient but I'm starting to agree with what your saying about inevitable latency issues. Didn't realise bad thin sound quality would scare off listeners but maybe your right about that too as it wouldn't sound professional. Still looking for good cheap options if any...

Post by 102455 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:44 am

Have you actually looked at the cost of small mixers? I would guess not, because you're not going to get very much for £40.

There are mixers that sell for around £30 but they are EXTREMELY limited. IMO you need to spend at least £70 to get a mixer that's going to be useful.

Behringer Xenyx Q802USB = circa £70

Bombastic

Post by Bombastic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:21 am

hey good shout ! this one is on special at only £47
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... gKa-fD_BwE

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 pm

I finally sprung for a GO Mixer, now that I realize that for video my iPhone 6s and/or iPad Air 2 makes the most sense for initial recording before bringing them into Live for final tweaking.

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-GOMIXER-A ... s=GO+mixer

(Not sure about this, but I ordered one from Sweetwater for evaluation...)