ReArranging Drum rack slots and corresponding midi notes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spanktron

ReArranging Drum rack slots and corresponding midi notes

Post by spanktron » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi there fellow music lovers!

I have an issue with Drum racks.

When i Slice an audio clip i many times want to Re-position the "Drum pads" in the Drum rack.
Example: When there is one conga at the beginning and one many slices later i like to organize them the way they would be in a 808 Drum rack.

Like all congas next to each other , Snare + Kick next to each other and so on.

When i however move a Drum Pad and go to the Midi Note window i see that the slot moved but not the accompanying Midi Note in the Midi Clip so it all becomes a big chaos with silent Midi notes etc .

Is there a workaround to this?

McAnix

Re: ReArranging Drum rack slots and corresponding midi notes

Post by McAnix » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:37 pm

So you want to move a sample to a different pad in the drum rack and you want that MIDI note to move with it?

Eg, you want the kick to be in the top right but you still want the kick to be triggered by C1 and not D#2?

Maybe MIDI effects "pitch" and "scale" can help by putting them in an instrument rack before the drum rack?

I feel like I'm missing something?

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:39 am

McAnix wrote:So you want to move a sample to a different pad in the drum rack and you want that MIDI note to move with it?

Eg, you want the kick to be in the top right but you still want the kick to be triggered by C1 and not D#2?

Maybe MIDI effects "pitch" and "scale" can help by putting them in an instrument rack before the drum rack?

I feel like I'm missing something?
Hi there.

Hmm. I am not sure i understand you 100% .
One example. "Kick+Snare+HiHat Audioloop" , if i slice it to Midi I will have the individual Midi notes recorded in a Midi clip.
If i then Move a Pad in the Drum rack lets say from C1 to an empty pad (say B1 ) then the Notes in the Midi clip that are recorded in C1 will be silent as soon as i move the Pad-Sound from C1 to B1.

What i want is easier to understand when looking at the Midi clip of a Drumrack.
On the left of the clip you see either a Piano Keyboard OR when using a drumrack, the sounds of the Pad listed starting from the bottom and going up "Kick"-> "Snare" -> "HiHat" etc etc.
So i would like to be able to: 1) Play a short loop -> Record it-> and then be able to say "hmm no i want to switch the places of the Kick and the HiHat AND that the corresponding notes i recorded "follow" the "Switching place" Restructuring of the Order of the Pads. That and without going into deeper stuff like Redirecting which Midi note triggers Which sound.

Cause the way it is now in the Clip you can`t change the order of the names and if i go to the Pads and move them, the notes stay where they are in the Midi clip which causes a chaos.

Do you know what i mean?

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:51 pm

Okay I totally get you now.

I have no idea if what you want is possible though, I would suspect not.

Anyones else have any ideas?

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:10 pm

McAnix wrote:Okay I totally get you now.

I have no idea if what you want is possible though, I would suspect not.

Anyones else have any ideas?

Do you find what i wish for, normal or do you think i expect too much?

For me without this functionality when i slice to Midi and it`s a longer clip it is a nightmare to reorganise and-or customise it.

shanebi

Post by shanebi » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:53 pm

Has this ever been fixed or even been considered? I legitimately need this for my workflow. I'm so tired of having to move midi after changing a drum slot.

frapal

Post by frapal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:40 pm

Has this ever been addressed?
By the same token, do you know if i change an existing drum rack within a project and save it as user drum rack, will this affect my other projects where this rack is used?
Thanks
Francis Ko
soundcloud.com/francisk0
facebook.com/franciskomusic

g8tr1522

Post by g8tr1522 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:29 pm

I am also desperate to find out how to do this. This is killing my workflow. Has been for years.

lucianthorr

Post by lucianthorr » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:22 am

Anyone ever figure this out?

I hacked something up tonight by assigning each Drum Rack slot a Midi Step Sequencer with 1 step into an External Instrument. Then I assigned each drum rack slot's step sequencer note to the triggering midi note that I needed.

Seems like total overkill but I haven't figured out what is allowing the step sequencers to send midi out where the other midi effects or the drum rack alone doesn't seem to work.

tomsomething

Post by tomsomething » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:02 pm

I would love to be able to do this. Sometimes I'm half-way through a project when I decide I want to add some snare flams or buzzes. I've got the samples ready to drop into the drum rack, and I want to put them right next to the other snare slots to keep things organized. But those are occupied by other hits. Those other hits are in use, so I have to move the existing instrument to a different slot, then go back and move every instance of that note to the new location. It's a little tedious. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry to lay my idea out, I'll put the new sample into some unoccupied slot, use that area to put the notes in, and just worry about re-organizing it later.