Launchpad Latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Crafty_Velociraptor

Launchpad Latency

Post by Crafty_Velociraptor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:48 am

I just got a launchpad. Whenever I hit a button it takes about a third of a second to register. How do I fix this? I'm using powerful windows pc with whatever soundcard is built into my motherboard. I have the default windows audio drivers along with Realtek HD audio. What could I do to fix this?

yur2die4

Re: Launchpad Latency

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm

You could probably do a search of this forum for tips.

1. asio4all is an option for your current soundcard. Might be good to eventually invest in an audio interface but not crucial if asio4all happens to work fine.

2. It depends on what mode the LP is in and what you're triggering. If you're launching clips in session view, there are quantization settings for setting when they are triggered. If you're triggering drums in a drum rack or playing an instrument using the User1 page on the LP there should not be a latency with the exception of maybe when arpeggiator is being used.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Yeah a wise investment in an audio interface would help out immensely.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

timday

Post by timday » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Seconded. Windows drivers, which is what the motherboard will be on, always cause latency as far as I can tell. The problem is not with the launchpad but with the time the on board soundcard takes to sort out audio playback. 1/3 second doesn't really matter when you press play on a YouTube video but does matter in Live.

Not sure about ASIO4all because as far as I am aware it's only a wrapper for the Windows drivers and might not solve the issue.

If it doesn't work even the cheapest ASIO capable audio interface - which is most of them - will probably solve the problem. ASIO drivers are designed for audio work and are very low latency.

Crafty_Velociraptor

Post by Crafty_Velociraptor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:10 pm

I fixed it. I had to update the launchpad itself. I also got asio4all but I'm not sure how to use it though.

timday

Post by timday » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:02 am

OK, well, I was completely wrong there.....