Ableton and Guitar Rig question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Von Stinkenhaus

Ableton and Guitar Rig question

Post by Von Stinkenhaus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Hey guys. This may be more of a Guitar Rig question, but I have ditched my pedals and have embraced looping and running my effects thru Ableton Live. My patience with hardware loopers ran out. So I'm still somewhat new to Guitar Rig. I'm using 2 Logidy UMI-3s to send the midi commands to Guitar Rig and the Looper plugin in Ableton Live. Depending on what songs I'm playing, I have one UMI setup to transport to different scenes for when we hit changes. But for the most part, I'm live looping.

My question is if I have multiple channel strips for my guitar, with Guitar Rig loaded, how can I make the different instances of Guitar Rig unique? Case in point - I loop a guitar part on one strip and it has delay on it, then I move to the second channel strip and want to loop a new part over it without delay. I hit my foot switch to turn delay off and it also turns delay off my previously looped part. The Guitar Rig commands are global to all strips. I know I can create the next channel strip to just not have delay in it, but this is improvisational and I wouldn't know that at the time. For some things I use the Looper plugin, but I prefer to loop into clip slots for better manipulation.

Has anyone run into this that may have some insight? Thanks.

Von Stinkenhaus

Re: Ableton and Guitar Rig question

Post by Von Stinkenhaus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 am

Ok, just a follow up for anyone here interested in running Guitar Rig in Ableton and accomplishing independent control of effects per channel strip. I joined the Native Instruments forum and found an answer. Not thru NI or Guitar Rig, but thru Ableton and Max 4 Live.

You can group effects into racks, map the parameters to macros which can be mapped to your midi pedal. And someone created a M4L patch that makes the track only respond to midi cc when the track is armed. Which in essence is totally what I was looking to do.

See NI thread here if interested - https://www.native-instruments.com/...e ... st-1614283

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:05 am

Mmmm, your link is not working......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 pm

I'm not exactly sure why you wouldn't just use clips with program change messages to change presets in Guitar Rig?
I've used Guitar Rig and now Amplitube for years, and for 99% of what I need FX wise they cover it. To me anyway setting up Racks with external FX and M4L is overtly complicated.
My question is if I have multiple channel strips for my guitar, with Guitar Rig loaded, how can I make the different instances of Guitar Rig unique? Case in point - I loop a guitar part on one strip and it has delay on it, then I move to the second channel strip and want to loop a new part over it without delay. I hit my foot switch to turn delay off and it also turns delay off my previously looped part. The Guitar Rig commands are global to all strips. I know I can create the next channel strip to just not have delay in it, but this is improvisational and I wouldn't know that at the time. For some things I use the Looper plugin, but I prefer to loop into clip slots for better manipulation.
Record Guitar Rig directly to the track, so record the output of the track Guitar Rig is on to another track, instead of recording the audio coming into the track Guitar Rig is on.