Can you remap incoming midi program changes to keys?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
xJDAx

Can you remap incoming midi program changes to keys?

Post by xJDAx » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:14 am

I have a few old midi control pedals but they only send program changes. Is there a way outside or inside Ableton to reroute the messages to keys? I've searched these forums and google to no avail.

Angstrom

Re: Can you remap incoming midi program changes to keys?

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:40 am

Do you mean "remap program change to keys" as in to QWERTY, or do you mean "keys" as in black and white notes, or "keys" as in C minor 7 and E major. ?

because you can certainly do the second one with Max, although you will have to learn a whole hell of a lot of stuff and want to punch the screen while you are doing it and will shout out "why am I not making any music. Why am I debugging on a Sunday!?!"
But it's certainly doable.
I have a device which converts incoming program change messages to rack chain position, and if you know what you are doing you could alter it to send out notes in about ten minutes. If you don't know max then ... longer.

it's here

xJDAx

Post by xJDAx » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:57 am

Keys as in "black and white notes". I looked into Max but it looked like only be able to remap midi on a per track basis, as part of the chain. Whereas, I would like to control Ableton at a higher level, as in Play, Stop, Scene and Track changes etc. Is it possible to create something in Max that would work on more of a global level? If it is, I'd be willing to dig in and figure it out.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:13 am

Yeah you could map the incoming program changes to transport controls etc. But it sounds a little limiting and you will probably bump into a wall. EG the track with the device on would need to be armed. But from what you are describing it sounds a very limiting aproach, you'll likely be unsatisfied as mapping program changes to transport is quite unusual there are bound to be pitfalls.

You'd be better off just getting any old cheap input device and mapping that to the functions you want. Fifty of your local currency will very likely get a small hardware device to do transport controls much more intuitively

xJDAx

Post by xJDAx » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Okay, I got this figured out. I'm posting this solution for anyone looking in the future.

The solution on Windows is MIDI-OX. MIDI-OX is a standalone program which allows the user to monitor and manipulate MIDI data in many ways. On the MAC it looks like MidiPipe would work but since I'm on a PC I can't confirm that. Another piece of the puzzle is adding a virtual MIDI port in which to remap to. I'm using LoopBe1. Both programs are free.

My setup is as follows...
Old Controler pedal is plugged into a free MIDI port
MIDI-OX's midi in is set to that MIDI's out port
MIDI-OX's midi out is set to LoopBe1's in port.
In MIDI-OX go to Options>Data Mapping... There I remapped all Program Changes to Notes.
Ableton go to Options>Prefrences>Link Midi and set Input: LoopBe1 'Remote' to On. Trac and Sync should be off.
And that's it. I'm now able to map transport functions to my pedal.

One thing to note is that the pedal only sends a down messages so I was only able to map to NoteOn messages. This limits its usage to things that only expect a single event. ie You can't use it as an instrument input device since notes will never receive a NoteOff message. Though with the Note Length midi effect you should be able to get around that if you really wanted to.

So that's it. Hope it helps someone somewhere sometime.

thalund

Post by thalund » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:08 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:40 am

it's here
This is the excact function I've been looking for. Tried it and it works, thanks so much