Begginer Advice Please

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cartel00

Begginer Advice Please

Post by cartel00 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:26 pm

Hey guys. I want to start making electronic music and was wondering if the better route (not the easier) is learning something like Reason by itself or getting a sequencer like Live 5 with some good VST's? Or maybe you guys might have some other recommendations. I looked at Live 5 and it looks really cool... but I am new... and I am keeping my options open.

Gygaxian

Post by Gygaxian » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:33 pm

both programs are great, so either way you'll be happy. Reason has a smaller learning curve. it takes about 3 days to get a handle around Reason. It might take a bit longer with Live, although Live is quite easy to learn as well.

Reason pretty much comes with everything you'll need (except a keyboard) to make electronic music.
For Live you will need to spend extra money on getting a few other things like instruments, plug ins, etc.

A lot of people bad mouth Reason, and i'm not sure why. iIts a great program, with a small learning curve, and if you want something quick that sounds good Reason will do it.

Live has many, many more options though as far as I/Os, MIDI capabilities and channels, basic structure and weirdness. Its an amazing program.

It just depends on you. Good luck with whichever you end up with. You can always use both later on down the road like some of us. 8O

cartel00

Post by cartel00 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:39 pm

Hey thanks for the reply chagos. Yeah I am aware about VST;s and how you can use Reason along with Live as a VST. But I just do not want to waste any time learning something that does not sound as nearly as good as Live with some NI plugins. I know Reason is great and all but I mean does it really compare to something like Live with some good plugins?

Like I said since I am starting out I want to take the efficent and better route. I do not want to spend time learning something that is not the best way or the most practical way for making good music. I have a midi controller and all... I am pretty much aware about many things, but just looking for some advice and what is the best route to take. It either I learn Reason now... or I learn Live and some plug in now (with the possbility of learning Reason in the future as a plug in) what do you guys think... or any other recommendations?

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:58 pm

hey cartel,

If you're into this music thing for the long haul, I would highly recommend Live. In addition to an extrodinary creative tool, it becomes more and more a full featured DAW with each release. These are the features you will eventually "grow into" and I think in this respect you wil find yourself limited inside Reason alone.

It might be helpful to know where you are coming from musically and where you see yourself going (if you know). That would make it easier to recommend a program to you.

Both Live and Reason are available as Demos, why not try 'em out and see what fits...
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:14 pm

yea reason rewired to live make a great team. you can use reason as a synth/drum machine and use live to record all your sounds and arrange everything.

cartel00

Post by cartel00 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:33 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Well buzzbock I see myself along the lines of Sasha... Timo Maas... and Kruder and Dorfmeister... so a combination of breaks, melodies, and bass. I am definitely in the music thing for the long haul, it is a passion of mine and would like to pursue it as like many others. I have played around with the Reason demo... like I said it is great... but as of right now I need the most practical and best path because I am in it for the long run.

cartel00

Post by cartel00 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:36 pm

OOps forgot to add this to the last post...

So should I go ahead and take the sequencer/plug in route in this case it being Live/ and NI plugins... or Reason stand alone (or in the future Reason Rewired).

What do you guys use for dum machines? Reason? Or are there others out there exlcuding hardware. Is Battery considerd a drum machine... no clue... can you guys let me know about this too.

Gygaxian

Post by Gygaxian » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:16 pm

it sounds like you answered your own question: if you need a serious sequencer, then Live is your way to go.

that is unless you really want to get your hands dirty and have a complete mindf*ck. If thats the case grab up logic 7.

cheers and have fun.

:lol:

Gygaxian

Post by Gygaxian » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:19 pm

oh i forgot. live does come with a drum programmer, and yes, Battery is a drum program.

i take it you did not see the post about certain newbie questions yesterday.

I STRONGLY suggest you look into Live more as well as Battery or any other program you want before asking questions about them here. Otherwise the the hounds will be released ( " is battery a drum program?" )

:evil:

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:28 pm

Actually, I believe cartel00 asked if Battery was a "drum machine" (in the context of Reason) in which case the answer is "no" since it does not have any sequencing capabilities, it is merely a "drum module" or "sample player".

Neverthless, it does help to do your research before posting, as it helps you to understand the answers better.
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

cartel00

Post by cartel00 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:38 pm

Sweet.. yeah thanks guys. Buzzcock was right chagos I was refering to Redrum and Battery being a drum machine. Its ok I understand... no hard feelings. But I appreciate all the help guys. Thanks.

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:03 am

I think it depends on you what you need. I have reason, and a good friend of mine has it. He uses it for EVERYTHING, and it works for him. He knows it well and it all makes sense to him.

I have it, but I just cant use it as a sequencer at all. It makes a good rack of virtual intruments in live though, I use the combinator grand pianos all the time, and redrum here and there.

The point is, you need to play with demos and work out what compliments the way you think and how you approach making music. For me thats live, but for my mate its reason on its own, live just overcomplicates things for him.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:35 am

If you never worked in a real studio, Reason is an excellent way to learn. It is also totally self contained - everything you need is there.

If you are strapped for cash, Reason is an excellent choice. I love Live, but it is much more complex and you will have to pay fore some extra VST plugs.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:54 am

just one thing: if you plan to record some audio from external sources (and i guess the long haul includes that), Live is the only way to go.

cartel00

Post by cartel00 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:02 am

yeah defintely I see myself recording from guitars and others in the near future. So yeah I defintely need Live... actually a lot of things that I am going to want to do is going to involve some vsts and instruments. So Im thinking lay of Reason for a while... but here is the crucial part... how am I going to lay drum patterns down in Live man. Is Battery the best option or are there simpler ones like a Redrum VST or something in the same realm