Live 10 and moving multiple arrange events...STILL fkd ???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
locojohn

Re: Live 10 and moving multiple arrange events...STILL fkd ???

Post by locojohn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:33 pm

muthafunka wrote:Thanks for making the effort. What seems extra strange is that the parts are all there, it's not as if a whole new chunk of the arrange environment needs conceptualising and creating (yes, I know it's not exactly that simple but you get what I'm saying.) Extend the idea a tiny step to the export/render process too and we have multi-file export ability from the same track (which is another no-brainer request at Centrecode).
Totally agree. Well, Ableton focus is obviously elsewhere.. Push 2 users, Max for Live etc. This is a triumph of stagnation in terms of modern DAW enhancements.

Andrejs
Last edited by locojohn on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:56 pm

AS a fairly disgruntled push 2 user i can tell you they aint listening to jack.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

oxygen23

Post by oxygen23 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:53 am

muthafunka wrote:Thanks for making the effort. What seems extra strange is that the parts are all there, it's not as if a whole new chunk of the arrange environment needs conceptualising and creating (yes, I know it's not exactly that simple but you get what I'm saying.) Extend the idea a tiny step to the export/render process too and we have multi-file export ability from the same track (which is another no-brainer request at Centrecode).
Yes, they already have this normal behavior when selecting and operating MIDI notes, why not implement same kind of selection for clips, too ? :?:
It's sad that after 4+ years the most useful improvement in Live 10's arrangement page workflow is probably simple zoom command and groups within groups which both should have been implemented long time ago.
(Perhaps capture recording, too, but there is way better 3rd party solution for that and it can be used in any daw.)

After all these years, we still don't have proper mixer where we can see all plugins in a vertical row, no bounce in place, no customizable key commands (and very few built-in ones), no tools (not to mention smart tools behavior).

My biggest disappointment after all these years, we still can't edit (slice, cut, paste) audio in bottom window (ironically called Sample Editor), but when working in session view, we need to switch to arrangement, and there slice that audio, join it to one clip and put it back to session where we can only play with envelopes in "sample editor".

Now, having said that, I love Live because of it's simplicity, speed and fun factor, but there are some basic things missing from very beginning.

Since I am also a Logic user, I think today's (free) update to 10.4 (from 10.3) brought more improvements than Live from version 9.75 to v10.

Hopefully Live 10 will see some nice useful workflow improvements (and not adding more FX and synths which we already can have with 3rd party VSTs) during version 10 lifetime. :roll:

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:08 am

Yep, fully agree and trying to keep the thread on point and not a cover-all request list: This, and by extension export of multiple single files from the same track are pure nuts-and-bolts. Would be great if you could upvote the request at Centrecode, cheers

Dalski

Post by Dalski » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm really hankering for this functionality and have been for a long time now, so I'm giving this post a little bump (as I have on centercode) to bring more attention to it - The centercode post is entitled "L10 arrange - Enable selection of multiple events by cmd/click without affecting other events/time"

If you've got yourself on the beta since purchasing Live 10 and want this function, then please vote for it on centercode.

To the OP. I'm not sure if the thread titles are that great for anyone who may be searching for this on the forum or centercode. Perhaps it could be changed to something like "Feature Request: Selecting and moving multiple events on multiple tracks on arrangement timeline"

andre.pahl@thismedia.com

Post by andre.pahl@thismedia.com » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:12 pm

Still not fixed in the upcoming 10.1 :/
Such a bummer

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:36 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139753

...and here we are 9 years later. they're in no rush.

mariusgm

Post by mariusgm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Currently working on a mix where I decided I wanted to change a part in the middle, now I'm spending ages on trying to move the tracks to the correct spot again just because of this. This feature needs to be considered basic functionality

gunjaBeans

Post by gunjaBeans » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:02 am

There is a work around that isn't terrible:

Highlight what you want to move
Right Click
Consolidate

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Sun May 03, 2020 7:16 pm

gunjaBeans wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:02 am
There is a work around that isn't terrible:

Highlight what you want to move
Right Click
Consolidate
Aha, but it's a destructive operation, unfortunately. It does mess with audio levels.
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

itwontstop

Post by itwontstop » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:30 am

oxygen23 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:32 am
Yes, that was always a big issue for me in Live, especially after using Logic for 10+ years.
Seems like the thing is that (when left click and drag) Live is always selecting time and whatever content (or part of it) fits in that time will be selected.
By default, it acts similar like Logic's "Marquee" tool or Pro Tools' way of selecting, but there is no way to change it to "normal" rubber-band selection like all other DAWs (Logic, Reaper, Cubase etc) has.
Default Live's behavior is sometimes good for quick arranging of parts of the clips but most of the time is PITA for selecting whole clips, especially multiple clips.
While I like Live's way of time selection, I think it is necessary and mandatory to implement "classic" rubber-band style of selecting content (clips) not time selection.
I agree it would be great to do that with Shift modifier while clicking and dragging and event better it would be amazing to customize it so we can choose to have current Live's way with Shift and put rubber band style by default.

What Bitwig did in V2 (and most other DAWs as well) about this is to make "hot zones" on the clip itself and when you hover over the top of the clip (area where is the name of clip) tool automatically switches to classic clip selection (rubber band) and on the lower horizontal half of the clip it behaves like time selection.
It's a nice implementation and that's why they are calling it "smart-tool".

Most of other major DAWs implemented this behavior long time ago, while Live has been stuck in this area since beginnings :roll:
Upvote. Same here. 20 years of Logic and other DAW experience and this is one of the many things that I don't understand about Live. Very basic editing option that is not available. Most software - not just DAWs - let you cmd-click or shift-click to select non-contiguous events/files. I'm on Live 10, if this is added to 11, i'll upgrade asap.

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:52 pm

itwontstop wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:30 am
oxygen23 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:32 am
Yes, that was always a big issue for me in Live, especially after using Logic for 10+ years.
Seems like the thing is that (when left click and drag) Live is always selecting time and whatever content (or part of it) fits in that time will be selected.
By default, it acts similar like Logic's "Marquee" tool or Pro Tools' way of selecting, but there is no way to change it to "normal" rubber-band selection like all other DAWs (Logic, Reaper, Cubase etc) has.
Default Live's behavior is sometimes good for quick arranging of parts of the clips but most of the time is PITA for selecting whole clips, especially multiple clips.
While I like Live's way of time selection, I think it is necessary and mandatory to implement "classic" rubber-band style of selecting content (clips) not time selection.
I agree it would be great to do that with Shift modifier while clicking and dragging and event better it would be amazing to customize it so we can choose to have current Live's way with Shift and put rubber band style by default.

What Bitwig did in V2 (and most other DAWs as well) about this is to make "hot zones" on the clip itself and when you hover over the top of the clip (area where is the name of clip) tool automatically switches to classic clip selection (rubber band) and on the lower horizontal half of the clip it behaves like time selection.
It's a nice implementation and that's why they are calling it "smart-tool".

Most of other major DAWs implemented this behavior long time ago, while Live has been stuck in this area since beginnings :roll:
Upvote. Same here. 20 years of Logic and other DAW experience and this is one of the many things that I don't understand about Live. Very basic editing option that is not available. Most software - not just DAWs - let you cmd-click or shift-click to select non-contiguous events/files. I'm on Live 10, if this is added to 11, i'll upgrade asap.

Still not implemented and probably will not be. I lost all hope on this.

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:15 pm

I've just posted this FR on CenterCode (L11-SUG-2355: Select multiple non-adjacent clips in Arrangement View). Hopefully Ableton will take heed this time. If you are on CenterCode, please upvote and make some noise. Thanks!