How do I crop a specific part of a sample?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jennymccreadie

How do I crop a specific part of a sample?

Post by jennymccreadie » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 am

For college we've to take recordings of sounds from objects and create a composition using them. I've created a beat using some drums in the app but can't for the life of me figure out how to get just a section of a sample and repeat it within the song.

So far I've been dragging a sound from my downloads into a cell separate from the beat. But the sound just shows up as a wave and whenever I try to delete parts of it to single out one sound, it does nothing. I then used WavePad to cut the sound in to the part I want and am putting it into Ableton in the same way as before. Except now it just continuously loops the one sound I have over the beat and I can't work out how to control it.

Is this a really dumb question? I can't find any straight forward video on it I'm sorry if this gets asked loads.

(I'm using the most recent update and am doing it on a Mac if that helps)

miyaru

Re: How do I crop a specific part of a sample?

Post by miyaru » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:33 pm

First turn on warp
then find and select the piece you want
Loop that selection by pressing cmd L
CMD click and select crop sample

That should do!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:34 am

You can also use crop without turning on warp mode. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think when warp is on cropping will "bake" the warp's timings into the new cropped sample. Both methods are handy, depends on your needs.
Doug

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:58 am

I cannot select a part of a sample if warp is off, I tried, but did not work......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen: