PC and Mac compatible Ableton sessions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buckman

PC and Mac compatible Ableton sessions?

Post by buckman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:14 pm

I may be looking at doing a project on an older PC (using Live 9.7) which is slow, but would be good enough for sequencing loops etc and some MIDI.
I haven't upgraded to 10 yet as i hear its 64-bit only?? (I'm using 9.7 on a Windows 10 32-bit OS)

Then is it possible to transfer this same project, samples, etc cross-platform to a much faster iMac or Mac using Ableton live 9, 9.7 or 10? (not sure what they use yet and does the version matter? ie: 9, 9.5, 9.7, or 10)?

The only reason I ask is because I have never done any cross-platform work (pc > mac and vice versa)?

So what would be the rules and right way to save loops/audio and midi basically WHOLE PROJECTS (VST's may change obviously between systems) to make sure they open on either platform?

My usual projects have just stayed on the ONE computer/platform, so regardless of where the samples are, my .als file find it somehow and loads it up, depsite my saving being a bit of a mess!!

Thanks for any help

miyaru

Re: PC and Mac compatible Ableton sessions?

Post by miyaru » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:27 pm

"old" projects from the 9 series software are supposed to open on a Mac with Live 10, but backwards - I dunno......

Routing as in midi and audio are differend I think, so adjusments need to be made.

For the samples you need the collect and save option......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Live is not backwards compatible.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:30 am

Yeah always avoid (with any DAW) going between older/newer versions especially major versions. BOth copies should be running the same version to avoid issues.

As far as I know, even between Mac/Pc, you shouldn't have any issues with a project as long as versions are all good and both machines have the same VSTs. I do not believe you can switch between the VST and AU version of plugins tho so again, for maximum compatibility, ensure you use the VST version of plugins if you plan to exchange between Mac and PC.

buckman

Post by buckman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:21 am

Ok thanks, but as far as project compatibility, its a simple ''Collect All and Save" procedure to say my USB stick?

Thanks

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:29 am

buckman wrote:Ok thanks, but as far as project compatibility, its a simple ''Collect All and Save" procedure to say my USB stick?

Thanks
If you're using only native Live device (and/or M4L) you shouldn't run into issues. Could be a different story with 3rd party plugins.
Ableton Forum Moderator

cids

Post by cids » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:12 pm

Yes, just do Collect all and save... most 3rd party VST's are cross-platform so that shouldn't be an issue.
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2