create and rename track with keyboard shortcuts (no mouse)?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ewal

create and rename track with keyboard shortcuts (no mouse)?

Post by ewal » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Trying to figure out if there is a keyboard shortcut in arrangement view or session view to change the focus to the section where you can name the tracks.

If I hit command T or command shift T, I would like to be able to hit command R right away and rename the new track regardless of where my mouse is or the focus of live is at. Unless I am already focused on the track names, I have to move my mouse over to the track names and select a track to rename it.

It's not the end of the world obviously, but it always sucks when you have to move the mouse for something that could be better handled on the keyboard.

It would be nice if Live automatically changed the focus to the track name after creating a new track, but since this is not the case I was hoping someone might know a keyboard shortcut or clever trick to creating a new track and renaming it without using the mouse at all.

cmprvndncr

Re: create and rename track with keyboard shortcuts (no mouse)?

Post by cmprvndncr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 am

Sure would be swell if this was possible. Also to select locators without the silly mousey mouse boy.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:04 pm

cmprvndncr wrote: Also to select locators without the silly mousey mouse boy.
Map the '<' and '>' keys to the locator selectors. I find this even quicker than mapping individual locators, depending on the size of the project.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:10 pm

yeah, it's counter-intuitive that you can't immediately rename a new track with command+R.

you can do it in session view with just the keyboard by using the up arrow key to scoot the focus up to the track name. also, on a Mac, function + up-arrow jumps up to the top clip slot.

so, for session view you could use a keyboard macro program to map a single key combo to: function + up-arrow, up-arrow, command + R. doesn't help in arrangement view though.