CPU usage in Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Entrainer

Re: CPU usage in Live 10

Post by Entrainer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:44 pm

I'm receiving terrible performance, especially severe crackling when using the new Echo plugin in session view with buffer at 128ms. Maybe two audio clips loaded... nothing taxing.

I think I'm going to reinstall Live 9 Suite. I ran it at 64 buffer all day without issue with sessions much more demanding.

Specs: Sierra 10.12.6, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad, 16 GB ram, GFX Intel Iris Pro 1536

NickFive

Post by NickFive » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Just wanted to add my voice to the serious jump in CPU problem with occasional glitches when compared to Live 9. Mac mini 2011 / 2.5 ghz processor intel core i5 / 16gb memory / OS El Capitan.

WilliamWilliam

Post by WilliamWilliam » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 am

Hi, just wanna say I'm also having issues without changing any settings on my Audient iD14 after changing over from Live 9 and opening the same project on Live 10 there are now lots of crackles and artifacts.

ThinkPad T430s w/i5-3320M and 16G of RAM. Changing latency and buffer settings has made some improvement but I can't get it 100% crackle-free w/out setting the latency to an unreasonably high level.

Athaphian

Post by Athaphian » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 am

WilliamWilliam wrote:Hi, just wanna say I'm also having issues without changing any settings on my Audient iD14 after changing over from Live 9 and opening the same project on Live 10 there are now lots of crackles and artifacts.

ThinkPad T430s w/i5-3320M and 16G of RAM. Changing latency and buffer settings has made some improvement but I can't get it 100% crackle-free w/out setting the latency to an unreasonably high level.
This is exactly what I'm experiencing. I also noticed that Live9 behaves the same when multi-core is enabled. But this might be only in my case.

Anyway, I contacted Ableton and the answer is that Live10 depends on multi-core support and won't work without it. So I just hope they will address the CPU problems.

Tozzberg

Post by Tozzberg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:12 pm

same here, high till 100% CPU load and crackles all over. I used to have the same issue under version 9 and got it solved by setting everything in the windows energy management to 100% (especially the CPU max and min load settings). But as I didnt change anything on my computer when updating to version 10 it's strange but I have a suspicion: does any of you other guys have a dedicated graphics card installed? I don't have any and as I also encountered some strange graphics behaviour in Version 10 it could be part of the problem...

Athaphian

Post by Athaphian » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Tozzberg wrote:same here, high till 100% CPU load and crackles all over. I used to have the same issue under version 9 and got it solved by setting everything in the windows energy management to 100% (especially the CPU max and min load settings). But as I didnt change anything on my computer when updating to version 10 it's strange but I have a suspicion: does any of you other guys have a dedicated graphics card installed? I don't have any and as I also encountered some strange graphics behaviour in Version 10 it could be part of the problem...
I have a geforce gaming card, so at least in my case, I don't think thats the problem.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Athaphian wrote:I have a geforce gaming card, so at least in my case, I don't think thats the problem.
On the contrary, Geforce cards and their drivers have been notorious in the recent years for DPC latency issues leading to problematic crackles. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these problems you are currently having are about this at all, but saying that "I have a geforce display adapter, so I don't think my audio crackles are caused by the display adapter" is some sort of backwards :) in any case. Just google nvidia and DPC latency. They have been so bad that even everyday consumer audio things like youtube playback, regular music players, and the like, have sometimes been affected.

AWABI

Post by AWABI » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
AWABI wrote: Reaktor 6 on one MIDI track, Wavetable, Ping Pong, Grain Delay and Reverb on another... Playing a few chords on my Push 2 gets the CPU up to 65% which causes audio to break up. Granted I didn't have Wavetable in 9 but I never noticed CPU usage this high before.

Audio buffer setting?

Sample rate set to 48000kHz.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Nokatus wrote:
Athaphian wrote:I have a geforce gaming card, so at least in my case, I don't think thats the problem.
On the contrary, Geforce cards and their drivers have been notorious in the recent years for DPC latency issues leading to problematic crackles. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these problems you are currently having are about this at all, but saying that "I have a geforce display adapter, so I don't think my audio crackles are caused by the display adapter" is some sort of backwards :) in any case. Just google nvidia and DPC latency. They have been so bad that even everyday consumer audio things like youtube playback, regular music players, and the like, have sometimes been affected.
yeah, it's worth checking.

it's been a while, but i have had issues with an NVidia card before. i changed the settings on the card. i want to say that i disabled 'Hardware Acceleration', but it's been so long that i might be wrong on the specifics.

Melvin Morranis

Post by Melvin Morranis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:17 am

Definitely almost a doubling of CPU usage for me. Activating one plugin (Kramer Tape) on the master puts it from %55 to %90 and it spikes to 100 and playback is slowed, also clicks pops etc. It also beach balls a fair amount on startup or if inactive for too long. Have absolutely never had any issue with any session previously in 9. I am using a few instances of Drum Bus tho so hard to make any exact comparisons

I know its 10.0.1 but lets hope they can clear it up sooner than later

MBP 2013, OSX 10.11.6, 16gb RAM, 1tb Solid State

WilliamWilliam

Post by WilliamWilliam » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am

Hi, I'd like to submit an update. I switched to the ASIO4ALL drivers which helped me to use a lower latency and smaller buffer size but then there were intermittent times, for example, when changing notes in a clip with the mouse, that the computer would just freeze for a second or two.

So I still can't find a way to make it much better, either I need to use the Audient driver at a very high latency and buffer size or put up with the freezing. Nice choices!

I hope the engineers at Ableton are looking at this thread. In the past they have fixed things like this so I'm sure it's only a matter of time!

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:40 am

After reading this thread, I decided to open up my default set for a quick CPU check, (no clips, lots of VST instruments and effects, 30 tracks, 9 aux returns). All normal for me, if anything could be better than Live 9.

WIN7 i7 Thinkpad 520, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD, geforce video card, RME Fireface

daizok

Post by daizok » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 am

I'm also not experiencing CPU degradation compared to L9. I've seen more posts of people running older Intel processor versions that do not seem to be affected as much as others (i'm running a 2013 i7-4770), wonder if it's related.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Yes, i7-3770k over here (Win7 64bit, Asus P8Z77-V, 32 GB, RME HDSPe AIO), no degradation at all. Hmmh. That's good, of course, but it's puzzling what is causing it for so many people. I've tested it with some VSTi stress test sets, and I'm getting similar or slightly better performance than before, just like some other users are also reporting.

It's a long shot, but could this be in any way related to the recent Meltdown/Spectre patches that have been installed on quite a few machines now? It's something I have carefully avoided on my music workstation (having optimal performance is much more important to me on that machine than a vanishingly small possibility of installing affected software, as it's strictly for audio only, and I don't do any critical banking/paypal/etc etc stuff on it anyway).

Edit: also, hah, I noticed it's three posts back to back now with "not affected" and running an RME.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:24 pm

With 2 Drumracks active, and 5 instances of NI Massive running I have 10% CPU use. Thereby also an instance of Echo (Dub Syndicate) and a Reverb and an Focusrite Red 3 Compressor plugin at the masterbus......

Running an i7-7700 CPU/ 16GB Ram /M2 256GB SSD. This with Windows 10 Pro.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen: