CPU usage in Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: CPU usage in Live 10

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 am

tedlogan wrote:I tried:

CCcleaner (which made bootup and everything faster to load overall I must say, cleaning the very cluttered registry)
off topic, but...

careful with CCleaner these days... there was a hacked version;

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3225407 ... lware.html

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ccleaner-wa ... o-do-next/

TL;DR
CCleaner v5.33.6162 or CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 for Windows PCs was infected.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:19 pm

Few little things which helped me...

In audio preferences....latency on 2048
In audio prefrences/input config...deactivated inputs.
In a audio channel the inputs on ...no input.
Laptop flat on a table is getting to hot which make run the laptop slower.
i put the laptop on a stand on livegigs.
Choose your 3 party vst wisely...i a liveset i use many instances of the low cpu ’sylenth one’ vst which runs great but one arturia or native instruments plug makes my livesets instable or to slow in the cpu area.
So i bounce the last ones from midi to audio.
Reduce the extra polofony in your vst,s which you don’t use.
In audio clips i don,t use ‘complex pro’ in warp mode
In audio filter.....‘clean mode’
In reverbs....eco mode.
In general switch off functions in effects which you don,t use.
Also in session mode swich off effects and vst,s by clip automation which don,t need to be on or running.

Just a few things i do to keep big livesets running on my 2011 mbp;)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:57 pm

H20nly wrote:
tedlogan wrote:I tried:

CCcleaner (which made bootup and everything faster to load overall I must say, cleaning the very cluttered registry)
off topic, but...

careful with CCleaner these days... there was a hacked version;

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3225407 ... lware.html

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ccleaner-wa ... o-do-next/

TL;DR
CCleaner v5.33.6162 or CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 for Windows PCs was infected.
Thanks for the heads-up - I'll have a look tonight and see which one I have.

EDIT - I see that affair was from September 2017. Fortunately i only recently downloaded it, so all is well. Cheers.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:26 pm

8)

jonbongjovi

Post by jonbongjovi » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:39 am

I'm getting these CPU spikes on my MBP2013 well

I've got 8GB RAM and 512SSD. Is this an OSX issue? If so, does it only occur on certain builds?

VX600

Post by VX600 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:21 pm

Just erased my SSD drive, did a clean Mojave install, copied only a minimum set of plugins and.. yes, no cure for the CPU spikes.
MBP mid-2012, 16GB Ram, 2,7ghz i7.

Live 9 was always stable, now Live 10 is choking even with minimal settings. This is unbearable. Also fans go crazy 3 mins into launching Live.
Running both the latest beta and the latest stable release.

*sigh*

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm

....although i don't have any problems with mojave it's (still) not oficially supported...just sayin'...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

kites

Post by kites » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:51 am

VX600 wrote:Just erased my SSD drive, did a clean Mojave install, copied only a minimum set of plugins and.. yes, no cure for the CPU spikes.

Live 9 was always stable, now Live 10 is choking even with minimal settings. This is unbearable. Also fans go crazy 3 mins into launching Live.

*sigh*
That really blows! Sorry to hear that, I'm still waiting to update to Mojave myself, but waiting on Elektron for Overbridge and of course Live 10. Is Live 10 at least stable as it was on High Sierra for you, asside from the CPU spikes? Can you work with it at all?

From the many tips mentioned here, I do think I noticed a bit of releif when Live 10's is zoomed back to default, but I significantly saw improvement when set Follow Behavior to Page in preferences too. Could just be me. Overall seperate external SD drives really do improve the speed for me.

On MBP mid 2014
MacBookPro11,2 15” mid 2014
Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
4 Core, 16 GB

VX600

Post by VX600 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:58 am

scheffkoch wrote:....although i don't have any problems with mojave it's (still) not oficially supported...just sayin'...
This is true, but it's unrelated to CPU spikes as I had them with High Sierra as well. I thought a clean install would fix these. The only thing with Mojave compatibility is the fact that when launching Live for the first time you'll need to grant certain permissions to ensure full functionality. As long as you click "OK" to each dialog box there will be no functional impact.
teerio wrote:Is Live 10 at least stable as it was on High Sierra for you, asside from the CPU spikes? Can you work with it at all?
Live 9 was stable, 10 has issues. The CPU spikes appear very randomly and it's hard to put a finger on the cause of these spikes. Sometimes I can play the same track without a glitch, other times the spikes occur right from the beginning.

One thing I noticed last night is that if I freeze a bunch of tracks, play the track for say 30 secs, then unfreeze the tracks while the track plays the CPU spikes are gone (for the time the track plays at least). Will need to do more thorough tests.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:16 am

...i'm now on a mbp 2018 but also with my 2016 mbp (with high sierra) i had zero problems...maybe you could try switching off graphic cards switching in preferences...since newer programs also use a computer's gpu it may be an advantage to have it "on" constantly...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 pm

VX600 wrote:Just erased my SSD drive, did a clean Mojave install, copied only a minimum set of plugins and.. yes, no cure for the CPU spikes.

*sigh*
We have the same machine, (pretty much one of the best machines Apple has made in years BTW, barring the graphics card issue). I'm going to be using the laptop over the desktop here today so I'll see whether I experience this or not.

The big question though is what third party plug ins are you running? I had an issue with Battery 3.0 where it completely hosed Live, spikes, crashes all the fun stuff. It took months to figure out though because it rarely happened the moment I instantiated a copy of Battery 3.

It's also possible some of your plug ins need to be updated for Sierra and Mojave, i.e. they run, but they behave badly under those OS changes etc.

fewtureJ

Post by fewtureJ » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:46 am

I'm getting massive CPU spikes as well, 2018 MBP 2.2 6-core with 32gb ram, RME UCX, Mojave

What annoys me is the MBP gets 70 to 100% CPU load meter in Ableton and starting glitching out, and my actual CPU cores (shown via istat menus) are not every breaking 30% across the 6 cores. So I can't get anywhere close to maximising the potential of this computer (which is what I bought it for).

I have same issue with a 2017 MBP 2.9 4-core with 16gb ram on High Sierra. A friend on High Sierra with 2017 MBP 2.9 4-core 16gb ram has same issue. Also RME interface.

To consider:
I haven't tested other DAW's.
I haven't tested Live 9 but I don't remember CPU spikes this bad.
I haven't tried another audio interface - I am aware that RME has some issues with these recent MBP's but from what I read in their forums it's audio glitches not CPU spikes etc.

84bradyj

Post by 84bradyj » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:34 pm

go into your task manager if you are on windows. i forget what the mac equivalent is of that...if your disk space is at 100 percent after startup that is not good. end a lot of the unnecessary tasks that are using up cpu and disk space. this helped me a lot and i was having the same problem...

also, i ended the ableton index program that pops up under abletons folder...apparently that thing is bad news and takes up a whole lot of space.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:52 am

fewtureJ wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:46 am
I'm getting massive CPU spikes as well, 2018 MBP 2.2 6-core with 32gb ram, RME UCX, Mojave

What annoys me is the MBP gets 70 to 100% CPU load meter in Ableton and starting glitching out, and my actual CPU cores (shown via istat menus) are not every breaking 30% across the 6 cores. So I can't get anywhere close to maximising the potential of this computer (which is what I bought it for).

I have same issue with a 2017 MBP 2.9 4-core with 16gb ram on High Sierra. A friend on High Sierra with 2017 MBP 2.9 4-core 16gb ram has same issue. Also RME interface.

To consider:
I haven't tested other DAW's.
I haven't tested Live 9 but I don't remember CPU spikes this bad.
I haven't tried another audio interface - I am aware that RME has some issues with these recent MBP's but from what I read in their forums it's audio glitches not CPU spikes etc.
Live's Meter is NOT a CPU usage meter, so you can't rule out the T2 bug.

In fact if Live's Meter is peaking, but the CPU measured in Activity Monitor outside Live is not, that is a sign the problem is not CPU usage.
♥♥♥

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 pm

I just learned that my norton security for my offline iMac Pro 8 Core was killing my performance and access to my 16TB HD. The moment I uninstalled norton
these things happened.

1. I no longer need to plug and unplug my 16TB HD after restarting the iMac Pro.
2. Adding midi tracks in live 10 and cubase 10 is a breeze. I'm still shocked that norton was choking a W5 xenon processor like this. With norton on doing things like adding tracks or midi editing events on the fly can have a slowdown. I am talking about having live sessions with only 3 midi tracks.
3. Boot time went from 45 seconds down to 15 seconds.

This is a machine that does no web browsing so I am comfortable not having anti virus.