Sarrova-Q wrote:With 5% CPU increase, I could live. But not with erratic behavior boosting the CPU 5O% up. I'm on Mac OSX 10.12 btw.
As I said before:
• Live 9 cpu stays stable, 20 % doesn't become 40 % after a random period of time.
• Live 10 is stable for one moment, than the next the CPU increases from 20 % to any percentage between 50 and 90, with crackling and unstable audio as a result. Ironic, but this is totally unusable in live settings at the moment.
What's described above is exactly how I would describe my issues. My current project steadily bounces around between 43% - 47% for approx 30sec to 1 min (and the sound is fine), then suddenly ableton cpu level starts getting increasingly erratic, spiking every few seconds to a level that gets higher and higher over time. This of course comes with severe degradation in sound quality and renders the application unusable.
This specific behaviour is strange in that there is nothing else running on the machine and the project is only session view based / in loop stage (i.e. it's not gradually performing more intensive tasks over this time period). The project consists of about 12 tracks, split into three groups. I'm using mostly ableton plug-ins on each channel (mostly operators and sampler and abe effects, plus one instance of wavetable), an instance of Satson channel on each track and Satson Buss on every group and the master, one use of TAL 101 bassline vst, a couple of D16 effect vsts and finally, a MUJC compressor on the master.
It's worth stating that in past use of Live 9 I have worked on much more heavily loaded projects, using exactly the same machines with the same specifications, without experiencing ANY performance issues. The last time I experienced performance issues was using a Sony Vaio laptop back in 2010 (after which I moved over to Macs for music). This is useful context, as my first performance issue in 8 years occurred when using Live 10.
What's really interesting is that for this current project I'm working across 2 different machines: a 2010 Mac Pro at home and 2015 MacBook Pro (MBP) for on-the-move. These issues ONLY
occur on the MBP. I have repeatedly performed tests by alternating the same project on both machines and, without fail, the issue only occurs
on the MBP.
So, some detail, specs etc:
MACHINE EXPERIENCING ISSUES
MacBook Pro 13", early 2015 model
3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16GB
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536MB
Buffer size 512
Mac Activity Monitor CPU (while project playing) - jumping between 150% - 190% / Threads - 25
Issue occurs when sound is being delivered via Mac CoreAudio driver (my typical approach, as I just use headphones directly plugged into the Mac headphone socket)
Issue ALSO occurs when i try connecting to a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 (which I use with my 2010 MacPro, spec below)
Issue ALSO occurs when I change buffer size to 1024 and 2048 - spikes seemed noticably less frequent during several tests on 2048, though during one test there were more spikes than the worst I've noticed on 512! Weird eh?
MACHINE NOT EXPERIENCING ISSUES
Mac Pro Mid 2010
2 x 2.4 ghz quad-core intel Xeon / 22GB
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Soundcard - Scarlett Focusrite 2i2
Buffer size 512
Mac Activity Monitor CPU (while project playing) - occasional gradual changes between 188% - 191% / Threads - 33
Both machines had Ableton Index running when the projects were playing. Alternating between 0.01 and 0.05% CPU usage and 5 or 6 threads in use.
Hope this is useful to those techies trying to work this out. Please let me know if you have any questions or want me to try anything.
(also, when I first experienced the issues, I raised with Ableton Support. They told me it is likely due to Ableton Index running, but I have since performed the above tests that seem to indicate otherwise. I will also be sharing the above info in my Ableton Support case)
*Edited to get the OS's right on the machine specs (were initially wrong way around)