Cutting and saving sample slices.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wolfram1947

Cutting and saving sample slices.

Post by wolfram1947 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Can anyone out there recommend a good video tutorial on slicing and saving samples? I think I know how to slice and use in a current project but can't find any info in how to save a slice for use in future projects in a sample library. As I said in my previous plea for help I am very new at music making and any
assistance will be appreciated. I'm using Akai APC Key 25 and obviously Ableton 9.

Richie Witch

Re: Cutting and saving sample slices.

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:15 pm

I like using Wavosaur for this. Very easy to learn and use, and you can zoom all the way down to individual sample points quickly. It makes finding the exact point of those zero-crossings much easier so your sample clips don't click. I believe it will even batch process files, although I haven't used that feature. And it's free. 8)

https://www.wavosaur.com/
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

wolfram1947

Post by wolfram1947 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Richie Witch wrote:I like using Wavosaur for this. Very easy to learn and use, and you can zoom all the way down to individual sample points quickly. It makes finding the exact point of those zero-crossings much easier so your sample clips don't click. I believe it will even batch process files, although I haven't used that feature. And it's free. 8)

https://www.wavosaur.com/
The problem I have is saving the sample for future use. I recently sliced a sample and wanted to save two of the slices. As I sliced them I dropped them into 2 empty tracks but wanted to save them individually but couldn't work out how to do it. Would I have to save 1 and then repeat the process for the 2nd sample?

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Maybe drag and drop them into your clip browser? You can set up custom folders in the browser to save clips, samples, MIDI, etc. Then they are available in any other projects in the future. Is that what you meant?
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

wolfram1947

Post by wolfram1947 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Richie Witch wrote:Maybe drag and drop them into your clip browser? You can set up custom folders in the browser to save clips, samples, MIDI, etc. Then they are available in any other projects in the future. Is that what you meant?
That sounds exactly what I wanted. I hadn't thought about dragging and dropping into the browser. Am I right in thinking I can title the clip by changing the track header?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:39 pm

Rename the clip just after it's been dropped

wolfram1947

Post by wolfram1947 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Hermanus wrote:Rename the clip just after it's been dropped
The only way it seems to work is if I rename it and export it from ableton. Then it appears in my samples folder in wav format for me to use. I don't know if that's the correct way but it's working. Once again forum Thanks for your help. I'm not doing too bad using "off the shelf" samples but I feel like I'm using someone else's work and I'd like to do more myself.