New to Ableton and music pro, start with 9 or 10? Have both

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cdchrono

New to Ableton and music pro, start with 9 or 10? Have both

Post by cdchrono » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:51 am

Hi everyone!

I bought Live 9 and the push 2 a month ago and recently got a free upgrade because it is apparently more compatible with my push 2 controller. I've dabbled a little but am still at the complete beginner stage, meaning I know absolutely nothing. All I have are the ideas in my head. I know 10 just came out so I installed it (suite) but there are very limited tutorials and I have absolutely no idea how to convey my ideas, although I'm having a ton of fun with simple stuff.

Should I learn Ableton on version 9 before jumping into 10? There are a ton of tutorials for 9 and hardly any for 10 and I need a walkthrough from the absolute basics. How well does 9 correlate to 10? I am even having trouble saving my work properly, I'm so new. Thanks for the help

login

Re: New to Ableton and music pro, start with 9 or 10? Have both

Post by login » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:06 am

Almost all from Live 9 applies to Live 10, someone new in fact won't note the changes at all I think and some new features are very good as multi clip editing and Push 2 also got some new stuff as showing the MIDI clip content. And editing the new wavetable synth from Push 2 is also nice.

So I will just go for Live 10. Don't worry about tutorials, almost all that knowledge keeps being useful.

markwphoto

Post by markwphoto » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 am

I would recommend working with everything in Live 10. Feel free to watch any tutorial on Live 9 as it will still apply for Live 10. Live 10 added features, synths, ect. to what was already in 9x. As for tutorials on Ableton Live's Youtube channel they have a ton of new tutorials that will help you get started with Live 10 basics (49 to be exact). I highly recommend that you start with these: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... tDr1V3zcNr

They don't have any Live 10 videos for Push 2 yet but I'm sure they're coming. Again if you watch all of their Push 9x videos on their Youtube channel they will still apply to Live 10 with the added features of Live 10.

I will say that I like many have had a hard time getting the ideas in my head out into the world. One thing I recently did was take a course for Warp Academy from Ray Harmony called Hack Music Theory (he also has a YouTube channel by the way). It was one of the best courses I've had on music theory and I come from a music background playing violin and piano. After watching his course now my ideas are coming out much easier now. There is a a line between knowing the software to get the results that you want right away and knowing how to get your ideas out and I'm finally bridging that gap between the two. You may want to check his stuff out as well.

Hope this helps.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:34 am

Live 10, definitely.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:12 am

Yeah, Live 9 is so last month, time to get with the program. Live 10 all the way baby!

cdchrono

Post by cdchrono » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:33 pm

Thanks everyone! I've decided to stick with 10 and use some of the 9 tutorials to get me started. This is slightly off-topic but can you believe I got a noise complaint in my apartment from getting crazy on the drum pads of my push 2 controller? I'm literally tapping on silicone pads with my fingertips and the guy underneath me called the office on me..... I've been putting the controller in my lap and it seems to be working, but overall I was really upset about this. No monitors, just headphones.... People have no respect for art it seems