MIDI Velocity Changes Have No Effect on 3rd Party Plugins

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jreber

MIDI Velocity Changes Have No Effect on 3rd Party Plugins

Post by jreber » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Greetings,

Since upgrading to version 10, clip velocity changes no longer effect how loud the MIDI note is. I'm talking no change from 0-127. I've tried many virtual synths including many from Arturia, Omnisphere and Synthmaster. Velocity changes are heard when I play the MIDI clip using an Ableton instrument. Any ideas on what may be causing this issue?

Thanks for any help.

iMac 4.2 GHz i7
64 GB RAM
OS 10.13.3
Live 10.0.1

Stromkraft

Re: MIDI Velocity Changes Have No Effect on 3rd Party Plugins

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:08 am

jreber wrote: Since upgrading to version 10, clip velocity changes no longer effect how loud the MIDI note is. I'm talking no change from 0-127. I've tried many virtual synths including many from Arturia, Omnisphere and Synthmaster. Velocity changes are heard when I play the MIDI clip using an Ableton instrument. Any ideas on what may be causing this issue?
It's not sufficient to just have velocity values. The instrument also need to be set to respond to velocity and this does not have to be with volume.

If any instrument doesn't respond as expected, you need to investigate the patch you're using and see how it's set up to respond to velocity. Typically making the appropriate adjustment in the instrument itself will give you what you expect.

If this still doesn't work after adjustments you need to investigate the MIDI path from the clip to the instrument. Do you have any MIDI effects on the path for instance? If you have Max For Live you can use the MIDImonitor device to look at the MIDI stream at different places.

Another way is to put the instrument in a rack and add an instrument patch known to respond to velocity in a second chain so both play at the same time. Then pan one to the left and the other to the right.

Now if the first responds to velocity and not the second, then you know nothing is wring with the MIDI signal or the path and that the answer is in the second instrument itself. Keep adjusting relevant parameters in it and read the section concerning velocity in the instrument manual/help, until you find the settings you need.
Make some music!

jreber

Post by jreber » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 am

Stormkraft, Thanks for your response.

I’m no expert on what velocity changes affect but it’s been my experience that these changes normally affect the loudness or hardness that a note is played. This is true with regards to Omnisphere and the Arturia synths that I’ve used in Pro Tools and Logic Pro. Velocity changes also worked this way in Ableton 9 with the plugins that I mentioned and in Ableton !0 with the stock instruments. To my ear velocity changes have no affect whatsoever in Ableton 10 on any of the 3rd party plugins that I’ve tested.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:31 pm

jreber wrote: To my ear velocity changes have no affect whatsoever in Ableton 10 on any of the 3rd party plugins that I’ve tested.
Nevertheless you need to check the instrument, as assuming things are one way leaves you guessing instead of knowing. Don't you want to find out?

I haven't seen any abnormal behaviour in Live 10 with velocity or anything else with MIDI. I mostly use plug-ins.
Make some music!

jreber

Post by jreber » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks again Stormkraft,

Your responses caused me to double-check my initial observations regarding velocity changes in Live 10. Although I didn't use your testing suggestion I did open the same plugin (Omnisphere 2 AU for Logic and Ableton and AAX for Pro Tools), the same patch (Nineties Keys Vibe), added the same notes in a 2 bar clip with the same velocity settings for each note (ranging from 10-125). The performance in all three DAWs were nearly identical. With this patch Ableton 10's velocity changes were exactly what I would expect. My initial mistake was randomly selecting patches from some of my favorite plugins and assuming that those patches use velocity changes in a way that I'm used to.

Thanks again for your advice.

thehitch

Post by thehitch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:07 am

I am having the same problem but have not been able to fix it. I put on the MIDI monitor from Max and regardless of the velocity I entered in the clip it would always read 123. Is there a preference I may have selected that I am not aware of? I read the manual and havent found any answers. Help please!

teetilla

Post by teetilla » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 pm

If it's Sampler then look for a "Vel > Volume" setting or similar. On Sampler, the lower you dial this setting, the less impact velocity has. The higher it is the more velocity will act normal. There might be other Ableton instruments with this setting but I can't recall off my head.

NavjotShoker

Post by NavjotShoker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:12 am

I have also problem like this, midi velocity doesn't work with kontakt 5, FM8, Omnisphere but its working with EZ Drummer. I think its a big bug in Ableton 10.0.6 :roll:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:18 am

NavjotShoker wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:12 am
I have also problem like this, midi velocity doesn't work with kontakt 5, FM8, Omnisphere but its working with EZ Drummer. I think its a big bug in Ableton 10.0.6 :roll:
Don't think so.

I use Omnisphere in Live 10.0.6 and have no such issue. Maybe your keyboard is locked to max velocity (or isn't velocity sensitive).

What is a factory patch in Omnisphere that you have this issue with that you expect you should not?

AlvinAardvark

Post by AlvinAardvark » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:44 pm

I had the same problem but had the 'Add some random' midi effect on the track and forgot it was limiting the velocity range.