Midi not launching at the correct time.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChrisRolo

Midi not launching at the correct time.

Post by ChrisRolo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to ableton and i'm sure there is a simple answer to this question. I've watched various tutorials but can't seem to figure it out.

I'm sorting out click tracks for all of my bands songs so i can run a lighting show via DMXIS to be in time with our music. I've loaded each song into arrangement view, added a midi track and automated the midi tracks to go along with out songs.

I've then put all the tracks in session view into scenes but clicking the file and pressing tab. When i click play in the scene it fires each individual audio track as it should.

The problem is when i try to do it with the midi click, it will work initially but if i go back through the songs it will only fire at the last tempo and not the tempo of that particular song I've mapped in midi. So for example if i go back to play the first song in the set (160bpm) it will play the correct song but the tempo will be 100bpm (the tempo of the last midi click track i uploaded).

What am i doing wrong :?

I'm sure a giant 'oh yeaahhhhh' will be just around the corner but i would appreciate some help getting there!

Thanks Y'all.

Richie Witch

Re: Midi not launching at the correct time.

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:29 pm

If I understand what you're doing there, the tempo is not set by the MIDI clips; it is set by the Scene. You can change the title of each scene to match the tempo you want by adding the tempo to the name of the scene. For more information, see page 110 of the Ableton Live manual.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

ChrisRolo

Post by ChrisRolo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Ok, i understand that.

My only issue is that there is up to 10 tempo changes in each song at various points, including gradual increases and decreases in certain sections.

Is their a way around setting it via the scene and getting the tempo to follow the automation instead?

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:58 pm

In Arrangement View there is. You can automate the tempo as a parameter of the Master track.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

ChrisRolo

Post by ChrisRolo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:01 pm

My issue is i need to use session view for live performance. I want to be able to fire audio and midi click tracks for each song and if needs be, re-arrange the order of sets etc.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:37 pm

You might need a max device or Clyphx to have more control over tempo changes. It'll require a bit of tinkering but should still be possible.