Korg micro and Kontrol 49 users keep the faith !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:20 pm

Well if that isn't depressing. I wonder how much novation's release of templates for reason and cubase/reason was related to ease of writablilty in those softs compared to ableton. rather than potential sales volumes. I wonder how hard it is to write these templates and how dependent they are on each software companies participation. If this is so far down on Ableton's list of priorities I wonder how long, if ever these ableton temlpates will take to come out for novation's new line of controllers. I will keep my fingers crossed.

My microkontrol looks like a x-mas tree in the dark. It's way to pretty to give up. The pads are unnecesarilly difficut to program, the keys are too small and the pads are just too "gooey". I love the asthetic and the the layout of knobs/faders. Too bad I can't keep them from jumping. Maybe max has something that will help with this.

autoy

Post by autoy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:16 am

Oh, no way I'm giving up on my MK, that's absolutely retarded. I just love it's build quality, way over Novation's; I can't live without the pads; the controls are the amount I need and feel good; the keys are the amount (2 octaves are just too few) I need in a compact form; it has the right features for me and the features I need in a small package that I can easily take live. And it's also so very easy to use. Now, may I ask you why on earth should I give up on that? I haven't tried the Remote SL, but I can tell you that the old Novation Remote 25 is not even on the same league as far as build quality and usability goes.
I wonder how much novation's release of templates for reason and cubase/reason was related to ease of writablilty in those softs compared to ableton. rather than potential sales volumes. I wonder how hard it is to write these templates and how dependent they are on each software companies participation.
I'll tell you: none.
Korg's especification is public, anyone can use it to write an implementation, I've even sent by email all the docs need to ableton. And it's not even hard to implement, actually is very similar to the Mackie control implementation, fully supported by Live. What I don't know is how hard has Novation pushed so that their's is adopted, probably harder than Korg.

And now, my advice: keep this thread as fat and visible as ever.

efexx

Post by efexx » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:10 am

I´m also disappointed about that situation and I´m thinking about to switch to the Remote SL too. This device is useless with ableton. Pads are stiff, encoder are jumping and you can´t rename the displays like you want. The MK performs very well in reason for over a year now and all that is supported from ableton is Mackie Control, that for me is way too big und expensive, but I think with live 6 there will be a similar Remote Support like in reason including support for a wide range of control-surfaces, until then, take a controller that performs well without any automap and native mode. The Mk is now not a good choice.

Pete

yogz

Post by yogz » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:08 pm

:P I would LOVE to have the native mode for my korg microkontrol !
please, please, please !!!
Live 7.0.14
Mac osX 10.5.6 ;

milka

Post by milka » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:39 pm

Since Ableton doesn't support Native Korg mode,
wouldn't be nice to share your own customized Korg MK and 49 LIve templates with others?

peace - milka
iBook G4 1Mhz/Korg Kontrol 49/Evolution U-Control/Evolution UC-33/Logic/Reason/Live/ http://www.shapko.com

B3

Korg Kontrol templates

Post by B3 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:52 pm

I think this is a pretty good idea, just to share ideas. I'll post a template as soon as I have one. Running into problems with using the UC-33e and Kontrol49 together at the moment. Key assignment overlap. I'm sure there is some reasonable way to get through this issue, but my keyboard keys keep triggering slots assigned to my UC-33e.

milka

Re: Korg Kontrol templates

Post by milka » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:05 pm

B3 wrote:I think this is a pretty good idea, just to share ideas. I'll post a template as soon as I have one. Running into problems with using the UC-33e and Kontrol49 together at the moment. Key assignment overlap. I'm sure there is some reasonable way to get through this issue, but my keyboard keys keep triggering slots assigned to my UC-33e.
happy u like the idea of sharing :)
i am too having a problem with a MIDI clash between Kontrol49 and Evolution U-Control witch i plug into MIDI in on Kontrol49.....
At the moment if i fire up Reason and Live Reason 3 in Rewire Mode,
Reason takes the Native mode automatically and takes Kontrol49 over...
so i cannot use Kontrol49 to control Live and Reason at the same time.
As a workaround i use Evolution U-Control for Live and Kontrol49 for Reason 3, far from ideal :(
if there would be a way to succsessfully trigger clips or scenes via Trigger pads
on Kontrol49 and play the VIrtual synths of Rewiered Reason synths via keyboard?
iBook G4 1Mhz/Korg Kontrol 49/Evolution U-Control/Evolution UC-33/Logic/Reason/Live/ http://www.shapko.com

9thcloud

Post by 9thcloud » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:01 am

YES !!!! PLEAAAAAAASE

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:09 am

milka wrote:
B3 wrote:I think this is a pretty good idea, just to share ideas. I'll post a template as soon as I have one. Running into problems with using the UC-33e and Kontrol49 together at the moment. Key assignment overlap. I'm sure there is some reasonable way to get through this issue, but my keyboard keys keep triggering slots assigned to my UC-33e.
i am too having a problem with a MIDI clash between Kontrol49 and Evolution U-Control witch i plug into MIDI in on Kontrol49.....
As a workaround i use Evolution U-Control for Live and Kontrol49 for Reason 3, far from ideal :(
if there would be a way to succsessfully trigger clips or scenes via Trigger pads
on Kontrol49 and play the VIrtual synths of Rewiered Reason synths via keyboard?
You have 3 possibilities -you can deactivate Remote ( if I remember by pressing all 4 buttons -setting , scene etc) 2 use advanced Midi in Reason and connect the keys directly to "A", 3rd just use a midi track in Live assigend to control reason and chosen instrument.

milka

Post by milka » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:21 am

rikhyray wrote:
milka wrote:
You have 3 possibilities -you can deactivate Remote ( if I remember by pressing all 4 buttons -setting , scene etc) 2 use advanced Midi in Reason and connect the keys directly to "A", 3rd just use a midi track in Live assigend to control reason and chosen instrument.
I have always started LIve and than chose a track for Reason, as soon as Reason starts up it would take over the MIDI Native Mode....
is that what you meant as the 3d solution?

ti_gui909

Post by ti_gui909 » Tue May 02, 2006 4:14 am

I VOTE yes

I don't have ableton live but I'm considering getting it.

If it had native support for my korg kontrol 49 that would be a MAJOR plus in my decision to get Ableton live!!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat May 20, 2006 8:19 am

bump! bump! bump! bump! bump!

(I have an sl25 btw)

TranNgoc2010

Post by TranNgoc2010 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:46 pm

Please I humble myself and have a question. If Ableton does not let you play your keyboard or turn knobs unless you're in record or monitor mode how does remote control work.

Last night I was with a friend and he has the Korg MS Controller but we couldn't get the plugs or knobs to work unless the track was armed but then we were recording knob movements into the clip. Very confusing. Please help me please. I am going to buy a Novation Remote SL
House Mixes On-Line now @ Facebook

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:49 pm

Judas!

The Kontrol kommunity must be shocked and outraged!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:21 pm

I was shocked and outraged before I bought an sl25...