Korg micro and Kontrol 49 users keep the faith !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:11 pm

okay then. "Nay". Waste of time.

:roll:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:12 pm

Why Korg above any other ? Because you can name the tracks ( and other stuff) and easily read it. These are the only cheap controlers giving you that function. How good it is you will know if you try it at least once. though I like the keys of Novation their price is a bad joke if you compare to CMEs which have much better hardware, specially faders, except the keys Novations are toys.
I understand that Ableton have their obligations toward M audio, but the fact is Korg`s controllers are the most flexible of all these, could be better ( motorised faders, built in soundcard etc) and I know ( unofficial) they will issue other models based on the concept
Korg`s pads are no MPC but work well as switches, the LEDs make it very usefull on stage.
I have microKontrol and wll definitely get 49 too once Ableton confirm doing something for Korgs.

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:05 am

Definitely I'd like to voice my support for Korg Native Mode in Live however I'm not expecting there is enough time to implement it for the Live 5 release ...

With support for Mackie Control (roughly similar concept - context sensitive control surface with text displays) hopefully the framework is in place to allow support for Korg Native mode eventually.

If any of you have seen how SUPERBLY Korg Native mode supported devices run under Propellerhead's Reason 3.0 (part of the new ReMote functionatility) you'd understand the potential of microKONTROL and KONTROL49

Reason 3 writes labels to the text displays in a context-sensitive fashion allowing for an almost completely mouse-free and computer-monitor-free operation of Reason 3. It's kind of like having a non-motorized fader Mackie Control build into a MIDI controller keyboard.

Reason 3 is the only non-Korg software available which supports Korg Native mode (with style!).

Cheers !
Last edited by jasefos on Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:21 am

I think it'd rock if ableton could find a way of making any midi controller 'follow' you around the program the way described in this thread.

Korg native support sounds good, but the korgs are to expensive for me, so something a PCR30 could benifit from as well as korgs would I think be a much better use coding time and would be found more useful by a lot more people.

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:57 am

bytheriver wrote:I think it'd rock if ableton could find a way of making any midi controller 'follow' you around the program the way described in this thread.

Korg native support sounds good, but the korgs are to expensive for me, so something a PCR30 could benifit from as well as korgs would I think be a much better use coding time and would be found more useful by a lot more people.
PCR30 doesn't have the text displays therefore even if there were some way to make it a context sensitive control surface you would never know what you were editing.
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2

autoy

Post by autoy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:34 am

Remote feature in Reason 3 supports mappings for controllers with no LCD feedback and the controls of your edirols and m-audios will be dynamically updated each time you choose a device. But, as above post says, you won't really know what are the current assignments due to lack of LCDs. That is unless you take a look at the Remote support documentation (quite a pain compared to LCD feedback).

The purpose of this topic is not to discuss the support of every controller in the world (tho i'd be up for that too), rather to know if there is enough people requesting native mode support so it's taken into account as much as mackie control has.

Remote would be nice in any current DAW, but I don't know if it's an open implementation like Rewire.

cheers.

milka

Post by milka » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:37 am

Native mode for Korg Kontrol 49 and Mikrokontrol please Ableton.
Or even better :
Native mode avaliable to Live and Reason 3 simultaniousely
while Reason is rewired as a slave
would rock onstage!

thanks in advance for the extra work
milka
iBook G4 1Mhz/Korg Kontrol 49/Evolution U-Control/Evolution UC-33/Logic/Reason/Live/ http://www.shapko.com

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:08 am

milka wrote:Native mode for Korg Kontrol 49 and Mikrokontrol please Ableton.
Or even better :
would rock onstage!

milka
My sentiments exactly!

However, without a doubt, I am more interested in at least having native mode in Live.

Though I will purchase Live 5 as soon as I read confirmation that the boxed upgrade includes a manual, I would also love it if this could be made to work in Live 4 as well. A shot in the dark.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:22 am

Or maybe Ableton can make some hardware... yeah... they can make a Live robot that will "follow" me around and "clean-up" after me because I'm such a "slob".

raapie

Post by raapie » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:28 am

if Ableton supports ReMote this will mean Native Mode is supported. ReMote supports all features of a controllers in a 2-way config. anyone using a MicroKontrol with Reason3 knows it's the best integration yet. it would be smart if Ableton implements it too. if they don't do it know, trust me: they do it in the next version. great thing about ReMote is that it's a standard. and that standard will become major sucessfully. mark my words ;)
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

brainray

Post by brainray » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:04 am

I vote for the native mode in Live for MicroKontrol :-)

Cheers

Ray
Sony Vaio A215M PentiumM 1.6 GHz 1GB __ Athlon 64, Asus A8N, 2GB Corsair
Focusrite Saffire, UAD-1, Logic Control

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:27 am

milka wrote:Native mode for Korg Kontrol 49 and Mikrokontrol please Ableton.
Or even better :
would rock onstage!

milka
This is a frustrating little stumbling block for most people wishing to use a microKONTROL + Live + Reason 3 (rewire slaved).

My own solution is to (sadly) make Live ignore the microKONTROL on ports A and B.

For controlling Live I use BCF2000 and attach a separate MIDI keyboard via the microKONTROL's MIDI input (which fortunately operates as a separate entity when reuquired).

It's a tough call - deciding which software I'd rather use the microKONTROL for but with Reason 3's deep integration the decision is a no brainer!.

I've recently integrated a Yamha 01X now - looking forward testing it's Mackie Control functionality with Live 5 ...

Cheers !
JaseFOS

Strauzzie

Post by Strauzzie » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:14 pm

I concur, YEA for native mode!

zion15

Post by zion15 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:30 pm

mentioned this in two threads already but... another vote for YES.
jasefos wrote:Reason 3 is the only non-Korg software available which supports Korg Native mode (with style!).
i think logic 7.1 has support for native mode too, at least microkontrol + kontrol49 are listed under new supported control surfaces. i have v6 myself so can't try it out.
| http://www.lumeet.net/ | neverstoplovingmusic |

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:53 pm

Yes! Make it Native!
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"