Korg micro and Kontrol 49 users keep the faith !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Korg micro and Kontrol 49 users keep the faith !

Post by rikhyray » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:17 pm

Changing for the second time.
Last edited by rikhyray on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:01 pm

I'm on the fence about the Kontrol 49 myself. If it had native mode it would be an easier decison. If it came with a free Kaoss Pad I'd buy 10.

It seems cool, but I gotta say, those faders just don't feel nice. They seem like some of the cheapest faders they could've put on there. I guess it was to keep the cost of the unit down. I am not a good judge of drum pads, so I can't tell how they stack up to other pads.

BUT, the design is cool, and boy do I ever need assignable knobs. I'm a sucker for blinky lights, and it's got a lightshow to rival any controler keyboard!

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:59 pm

pardon my ignorance, but what is "native mode"?
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

autoy

Post by autoy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:10 pm

Well, you all know I definitely want it in :)

Here's the original quote from Robert:
I do not know yet which surfaces in which order we will support and when. Each of them needs some individual work to be done and there are quite a lot of different models out there. I would suggest you create a wishlist thread (or add your wish to an exisitng one with this topic) The more people demand a specific controler the more likely we will give it a higher priority.

Robert Henke / Ableton
I agree this thread shoud have been created in the whishlist forum, but admittedly it will get more views/make more fuzz here...

cheers and thakyou for leaving your opinion.

hitherto

Post by hitherto » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:28 pm

I would love it if my Kontrol 49 worked in native mode with Live!

This would definately push me over the edge to buy Live 5.

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:31 pm

PLEASE. reason is so much fun to play with due to it's Native Mode support. i dunno how it would work for a host with vsti, but it totally rocks for Reason.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:42 pm

RePeter... Do a little search of the forum for "Kontrol 49" and you will find long threads where the native mode is discussed ad-nausem.

In short, it's a protocol for the Korg microkontrol and kontrol 49 that the software developers have to code their software to utilize... Propellorheads have it for Reason. Native mode will sync the controller with the software so as you navigate around the software- the controller will follow you... so you highlight a track with Impulse on it and the Kontrol 49 maps out the instant you click on the track, then 5 seconds later you click on another track with simpler and some effects and boom the knobs and sliders are now ready to control a completely different set of tasks, and you can do stuff on the fly and not have to worry about midi mapping everything.

At least, I think this is what Native is about...

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:26 pm

many thanks sales dude.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

raapie

ReMote

Post by raapie » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:29 pm

Ableton should implement ReMote technology from Propellerhead which is also included in Reason3. It's the best way for controllers, no doubt about it. It will soon be as 'normal' as ReWire for example.

check: http://www.propellerheads.se/technologi ... =mainframe
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

Machinate

Re: ReMote

Post by Machinate » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:58 pm

raapie wrote:Ableton should implement ReMote technology from Propellerhead which is also included in Reason3. It's the best way for controllers, no doubt about it. It will soon be as 'normal' as ReWire for example.
yeah, the implementation in Reason 3 is awesome, however I do get the feeling that "implementing" ReMote means "paying up big-time". I could be wrong though.

here are the tech bits for ReMote, btw;;
http://www.propellerheads.se/technologi ... &nc=377789
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

JJupiter

MicroKontrol user

Post by JJupiter » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:00 pm

I vote YES, please Abletons, implement 'native mode'. It is a fantastic way of working, I know from Reason 3.0 and Korg Legacy Collection.

It adds soooo much to the workflow.

J*

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:16 pm

so it's Reason's Remote and not support for Korg Native Mode that makes Reason so much fun now?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:19 pm

It just makes a lot more sense to use the ReMote or a "clone" of such technology than designing a system specifically for Korg hardware.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:26 pm

i would agree that a technology that is more akin to a standard would be much more useful in the long run than exclusive systems.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

JJupiter

Post by JJupiter » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:39 pm

Why the change of subject here?
Come on guys, leave the software design issues to the Ableton wizards.

I'm sure they will not 'hack-in' any device support. The Propellerheads are very good in promoting their subsystems (ReMote, ReLoad, ReFilll), even when no-one except they themselfes can benefit from it. The Abe's are more silent in this area, but I'm sure they will combine their efforts to have a mackie-control support sub-system with Korg's 'native mode' support.

Stick to topics request: Yea or Nea on the subject of native mode support in Live.

Cheers,
J* 8)