Any way to stop Live 10 from adding date when consolidating?

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
gtripi

Any way to stop Live 10 from adding date when consolidating?

Post by gtripi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Live 10 has a new behavior that adds a date at the end of the audio file name when you consolidate an audio edit. I've looked everywhere, but don't see a preference to switch this off. It's very cumbersome when building sample instruments. Any thoughts on how to change this behavior?

thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Any way to stop Live 10 from adding date when consolidating?

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:02 am

No way afaik. This new approach helps a lot with files/library management, which is something many people don’t understand correctly (partly due to the somehow crumbersome way it works in Live).
The way I deal with it when I have to, is to copy the files and then batch renaming them. You can do it from a software like Audiofinder, from osx’s finder, and I’m sure there’s many other options.
Ableton Forum Moderator

gtripi

Post by gtripi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have an app called Name Changer that does batch renaming, and removing extra characters. Just seems like it should be more of a preference than a feature.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:58 am

I can feel your pain, but if you think about it on a large scale it's certainly a very good move.
Ableton Forum Moderator

jondough

Post by jondough » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 pm

gtripi wrote:Live 10 has a new behavior that adds a date at the end of the audio file name when you consolidate an audio edit. I've looked everywhere, but don't see a preference to switch this off. It's very cumbersome when building sample instruments. Any thoughts on how to change this behavior?

thanks!
+1
Solitaire Co C.E.O. @ Insomniac Studios... Don't Sleep

kparagraphic

Post by kparagraphic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:27 pm

yes i have to say i'm really not a fan of this either. i can imagine some find it useful so being able to turn it on or off would be ideal, or even cooler would be a few options for naming conventions i.e. file-01, file_01, file 01 etc.

Jay15

Post by Jay15 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:21 am

I dont want this either! Some of the new features in live 10 are infuriating, samples that stop playing when you adjust volume or click anywhere takes 1st prize for me, then the browser folders collapsing, and this date stamp

all these changes would be so much better as a option

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:38 pm

It does seem as if the company has zero’d in on a particular usage scenario. I don’t use it for performance so I don’t always like the behavior, but I do always try to view it from that perspective. In that light I can usually see the reasoning, though not always. It makes it a little easier to tolerate the stuff that rubs me the wrong way.

mickjl

Post by mickjl » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:23 pm

This should be a feature with option - the least of which should be ON/OFF. Better would be ability to choose the naming conventions for files recorded.

DDF

Post by DDF » Wed May 11, 2022 8:01 am

[jur] wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:58 am
I can feel your pain, but if you think about it on a large scale it's certainly a very good move.
yes, files are lost after manually renaming it's "certainly a very good move."