How to automate this Kontakt parameter in midi track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mareproduction

How to automate this Kontakt parameter in midi track?

Post by mareproduction » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:25 pm

I can automate moudulation only in midi clip. Is it possible to have on midi track?
Thanks

https://pasteboard.co/HaNCPBH.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/HaNDbo3.jpg

Nokatus

Re: How to automate this Kontakt parameter in midi track?

Post by Nokatus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 pm

As the actual MIDI CC data (like CC 1, modwheel) isn't parameter automation, and instead "just" MIDI data, Live currently places it sctrictly inside the actual MIDI item.

However, you can use something that gives you a parameter automatable dial/control and outputs MIDI CC data upstream, to the instrument plugin.

Like this, for example: http://maxforlive.com/library/device/2560/cc-map8

Select CC1 for the first dial (no need to do anything else on that GUI), and after that, you can draw the "Dial 1" movements on the Live timeline as parameter automation, effectively outputting CC1 to the instrument you place after that mapper device. Note that you can't have CC1 in the MIDI item at the same time, otherwise the MIDI data in the clip will override the movements of the dial in this case. (This also means, if you want to record the dial movements in realtime, you will want to hook the appropriate MIDI control to that dial via Live's MIDI mapping facility, in turn, for the time of recording, instead of recording it in such a manner that the MIDI data ends up also inside the actual MIDI item on the track.)

In most cases, if you wish to have an instrument specific Kontakt parameter that normally responds to the modwheel, on an automation lane in Live, though, you can skip this ^ stuff and simply configure the parameter directly as an automatable parameter (using the plugin parameter configuration feature in the Live device view) instead of this CC1/modwheel hack.

mareproduction

Post by mareproduction » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Nokatus wrote:A
In most cases, if you wish to have an instrument specific Kontakt parameter that normally responds to the modwheel, on an automation lane in Live, though, you can skip this ^ stuff and simply configure the parameter directly as an automatable parameter (using the plugin parameter configuration feature in the Live device view) instead of this CC1/modwheel hack.
This M4L plugin works grat :-) Thank you!

My device "Configure" button don't respone on any Kontakt button :-/

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 pm

mareproduction wrote:My device "Configure" button don't respone on any Kontakt button :-/
I think that's instrument dependent... I mean, depends on the instrument you load inside Kontakt. Just tested it with some Spitfire stuff, and the controls (on the instruments themselves) were mappable and declared their names correctly. But it might be that some instruments don't do this. The default controls of the Kontakt "shell" unfortunately can't be mapped, yeah. Would be super easy if the modwheel control on that GUI was mappable and then outputted CC1 internally, for example. Might be a good idea to post a feature request to NI, actually.

mareproduction

Post by mareproduction » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Nokatus wrote:
mareproduction wrote:My device "Configure" button don't respone on any Kontakt button :-/
I think that's instrument dependent... I mean, depends on the instrument you load inside Kontakt. Just tested it with some Spitfire stuff, and the controls (on the instruments themselves) were mappable and declared their names correctly. But it might be that some instruments don't do this. The default controls of the Kontakt "shell" unfortunately can't be mapped, yeah. Would be super easy if the modwheel control on that GUI was mappable and then outputted CC1 internally, for example. Might be a good idea to post a feature request to NI, actually.
Im sure that Ni know about this "problem" I hope he will be solve it in near future
Thank you once again :-)