assign multiple midi controls for a single parameter

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danny klim

assign multiple midi controls for a single parameter

Post by danny klim » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi

I’m trying to figure out how to assign multiple midi controls/buttons/inputs for a single parameter. Could you please help?

For example, I want to be able to control the Master volume fader from 3 different controllers: an akai midimix, and apc40, and an iPad running midi designer pro. I want the Apc40 to run as a control surface and I want to hard map the master fader onto faders on both the midimix and iPad controllers.

Having an issue because Ableton won’t allow me to assign multiple controls for a single parameter. Whenever I hard map to one device, the mapping for the other device gets deleted/forgetten. It is also breaking the functionality of the master fader on the Apc 40 control surface.

How can I make Live remember/respond to multiple midi controls for a single parameter?

Nokatus

Re: assign multiple midi controls for a single parameter

Post by Nokatus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Max for Live to the rescue. Alas, I don't know of a MIDI routing M4L device that is made for this, right off the bat :), but I would be very surprised if there wasn't one. Search maxforlive.com for a device that receives multiple MIDI sources and can pass them as parameter control to one single destination. Do tell if you find one.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:06 pm

MIDI mapping is strictly concerned with MIDI messages. The same MIDI message can be sent from any number of MIDI controllers.

You can't change the MIDI messages the MIDI Mix sends, but I would guess that you can change the MIDI messages send by the iPad. If that's true, simply set up the iPad to send the same MIDI message as the control you're using on the MIDI Mix. Then use MIDI mapping to map the control on the MIDI Mix to master volume and you'll be able to control it from both devices.

danny klim

Post by danny klim » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks!

@Nokatus - i searched for the devices there but didnt find anything i was looking for. I found this forum post ( https://cycling74.com/forums/duplicatin ... i-controls ) that was asking for the same thing i think and had some instructions there, but i got confused by the instructions and just posted a folllow up question there.

@ metastatik - Would this work with the controller surface on APC 40? Would i need to hard map over-ride the control surface mapping for master volume on the APC 40 so that it has the same midi message as the MidiMiix too? . If it works, i'm considering trying this, feeling like this would be a simpler solution than M4L, but might not be as flexible as using M4L

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 pm

The APC would be irrelevant in this case since it controls the master volume via a script. So you just need to worry about the other two controllers.