MIDI Interface and Audio Interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jehrenfeld

MIDI Interface and Audio Interface

Post by jehrenfeld » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm using Ableton 10 Suite. I have two external synthesizers and a MOTU 828x audio interface. The MOTU 828x has a MIDI I/O but I am not connecting anything to those ports at the moment.
If I want to be able to send MIDI Output from Ableton to the two keyboards do I need a MIDI interface that connects to the MOTU 828, then connect the MIDI I/O for each synth to the MIDI interface?

scheffkoch

Re: MIDI Interface and Audio Interface

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:33 pm

...you could use your interface's midi ports to transmit data to/from your external gear or you could use a dedicated midi interface (connected directly to your computer) for this...in both situations you have to activate the ports within your ableton preferences...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Richie Witch

Re: MIDI Interface and Audio Interface

Post by Richie Witch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:42 pm

jehrenfeld wrote:I'm using Ableton 10 Suite. I have two external synthesizers and a MOTU 828x audio interface. The MOTU 828x has a MIDI I/O but I am not connecting anything to those ports at the moment.
If I want to be able to send MIDI Output from Ableton to the two keyboards do I need a MIDI interface that connects to the MOTU 828, then connect the MIDI I/O for each synth to the MIDI interface?
Not necessarily. Do either of the synths have "MIDI THRU" jacks?

If both your synths have 5-pin DIN and at least one of them has MIDI THRU, then I would start by connecting one of the synths directly to your MOTU audio interface. The second synth can be connected to the MIDI THRU jack of the first synth. Make sure both synths are on separate MIDI channels if you want to sequence them separately (e.g. on different MIDI tracks, reading different note data) with Live. Some synths allow you to use the MIDI OUT jack as a MIDI THRU, so check your user manuals.

There is a limit to how many synths you can connect this way--rule of thumb is three devices, before you start to experience drop outs and note hangs.

If you eventually buy more synths (and who wouldn't?? :lol: ), a MIDI interface will be in your future.

If you do decide to buy an interface, you'll find it connects to your computer via USB. If you connect it directly to your audio interface, Live won't be able to see the MIDI interface through the audio interface. A MIDI splitter could be used that way, but many of them do not conform to the MIDI specifications and can cause problems down the road.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute