Is there a way to lower the volume of certain synth notes?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonahmo

Is there a way to lower the volume of certain synth notes?

Post by jonahmo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:44 am

When I'm playing some synths live, the higher notes are significantly louder. Is there a way I can make them quieter? I suppose I could use a multiband compressor but that seems a bit clunky and will probably require a fair amount of extra processing power which I don't have much of.

Nokatus

Re: Is there a way to lower the volume of certain synth notes?

Post by Nokatus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:00 am

This can be approached in many ways, and the most convenient one depends on what is causing the louder notes. If it's the filter structure in the synth and the patch, for example, making the higher notes resonate more (or some other process in the patch accenting higher frequencies, or conversely something attenuating the lower frequencies), you can try remedying most of it in-synth. If the synth offers a keyboard scaling modulator, you can also try to modulate the appropriate parameters based on the note value you play, right in the synth itself.

The instrument might also offer built-in velocity scaling in relation to the note values, and if the patch is of the sort that reacts suitably when played at a lower velocity in the upper registers, maybe add built-in scaling for velocity values this way. You can also do a simple velocity ramp in relation to note values with the Live MIDI effect rack.

If these aren't suitable with the patch you're using, and an "automatic" solution is needed (for live playing), dynamic EQ (instead of multiband compression) would be my first bet. See where in the spectrum the levels start going too loud, and add EQ curves to compensate at the problem area(s) when the levels go too high right at those spots. (Also remember, even a regular broadband compressor can go a long way, of course. I'm assuming a more problematic case in this.) But again, if it's correctable on the patch level, that's a nice way to do it at the source.

When the process doesn't have to be realtime while actually playing/performing (as in, you correct the louder notes when mixing, not when playing), a good old-fashioned technique is to automate the levels of the plugin manually on the timeline, obviously :). Depending on what works best in that individual case, automating the gain of the whole signal, individual EQ bands -- or maybe a filter inside the synth. And so on.

jonahmo

Post by jonahmo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:47 am

Thanks a lot Nokatus. The particular synth I'm dealing with at the moment is Ableton's built-in "FM Koto", part of the Operator synths. I'm not familiar with a keyboard scaling modulator, or velocity scaling, not sure what those would look like, but it doesn't seem like it has anything like that.

Looking at the meter, it actually doesn't look like the volume is any louder with the notes that sound louder - I guess it's just the way their frequencies interact with the backing track. There are actually only 3 specific notes that I'd like to attenuate (in realtime).

I'm not experienced with the MIDI Velocity plug-in... I'm looking at it and don't understand how I could use it. Can you point me to some info on how to make a velocity ramp with it? I'm seeing some info on making a velocity ramp based on time but not on scale.

If nothing else I can try just EQ'ing as you suggested, which is how I've attempted to fix this problem in the past, but it usually doesn't seem ideal, as in this case since the frequency spectrum of this instrument is so wide for each note and the notes I want to attenuate are very close in frequency to the others.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated!

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 am

Ah, about making velocity ramps (in relation to note value) in Live: see the aforementioned MIDI effect rack, not just the singular Velocity device. Create a chain and set the keyboard zone and velocity selectors accordingly. If you want to go really detailed, you can create several keyzones and then use the Velocity device on each, scaling the velocities of specific three notes in a certain way, for example. See the manual on these for details :)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:37 am

Could it be a room effect? Often if certain notes seem a lot louder to my ears, but don't show up loud on the meter, it's standing waves. Is it the same if you listen to it on headphones?